The Game Box
March 29, 2024, 07:58:11 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The new site is Running.
This one is closed.

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

American Civil War Gaming - General Discussion

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: American Civil War Gaming - General Discussion  (Read 4008 times)
sparty
I can't wait to play that ... someday...
Forum Curious

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Karma Bad Level 4 50 Posts
« on: July 20, 2014, 07:46:11 pm »

GCACW is such a playable game and easily teachable that it's becoming a house favorite.  Kibler's maps are, as usual, works of art which helps greatly.

The Clash of Arms ACW games are also noteworthy.  I had Mississippi Fortress back when I was a kid and enjoyed it quite a bit because of the campaign board and engagement board with some inventive fog of war opportunities. 

I remember the first time I played The Civil War from VG...I was blown away.  I KNOW my friend and I in 7th grade had a 7th grader's grasp of the rules, but it still blew my mind at the scope and potential.  I managed to track down a copy last year, but it's still not hit the table again.  It is definitely one of my 2014 gaming goals.

The thing I like about American Civil War games is the focus on leaders.  It makes games, at least for me, more accessible.  I know I'm moving a lot of pieces, but I inherently understand with whom they're fighting and where I want them to go.

I think LOB is pretty fantastic as well.  Enrico is right that it's CWB without all the chrome that attracted people to CWB and between v1 and v2 of the rules even more was removed.  That said, you stand a chance of finishing a whole Gettysburg campaign game without growing old before it's done and the orders system is still pretty darn fantastic.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: