The Game Box
March 28, 2024, 03:54:03 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The new site is Running.
This one is closed.

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Newb.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Newb.  (Read 1086 times)
rburkej
n00b

It's personal.

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
Karma Good Level 3 Avatar
« on: July 21, 2014, 07:43:47 am »

I am a newb to war games. I own a copy of Sword of Rome, CC:N and Twilight Struggle. I am getting increasingly interested in historical wargames, but I haven't played anything meatier than those three. I was at my local gaming store recently and had in my hand Unconditional Surrender and my daughter noticed on the back the playing time of 30 minutes to 50 hours. AWESOME I thought. However, is it best just to jump right in, or should I take a different approach with a lighter game, but heavier than the ones I have?

Thoughts?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

usrlocal
Magnificent Bastard
Forum Malcontent

Tony Clifton's love child

View Profile
Gallery Linux User Level 5
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 07:47:06 am »

I haven't played US yet, so can't comment on it as 'the next step'. But what you might also want to look at is 'No Retreat: The Russian Front'.
Report Spam   Logged
rburkej
n00b

It's personal.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 07:54:48 am »

I haven't played US yet, so can't comment on it as 'the next step'. But what you might also want to look at is 'No Retreat: The Russian Front'.
Thanks! I will check that one out.
Report Spam   Logged
Rockhopper
Kevin
Forum Malcontent

View Profile
100 Posts Level 4 Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 09:57:12 am »

Great choice. No Retreat North Africa Front is cool too.

Also, I'd like to add Red Winter to the mix. It comes with player aids specifically for new players, complete with a "START HERE" list. The rules are also in a phased format, with accompanying scenarios that ease you into the full game.
Report Spam   Logged
kira1y

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 10:25:18 am »

Also, I'd like to add Red Winter to the mix. It comes with player aids specifically for new players, complete with a "START HERE" list. The rules are also in a phased format, with accompanying scenarios that ease you into the full game.

All of that AND Red Winter just rocks!!  Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged
Calandale
Mockingbird
Wyrd
Forum Malcontent

I mock you

View Profile WWW
Search 500 Posts Karma Bad
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 10:59:32 am »

US is a very good game. The smaller scenarios are comparable to a stripped down No Retreat.

An easy way to decide if you're ready for it would be to make a PnP copy of Unconditional Surrender: Case Blue.

Report Spam   Logged
weateallthepies
Forum Curious

View Profile
Karma Good 10 Posts Combination
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 11:08:47 am »

US is a very good game. The smaller scenarios are comparable to a stripped down No Retreat.

An easy way to decide if you're ready for it would be to make a PnP copy of Unconditional Surrender: Case Blue.

How long do the smaller scenarios take to play roughly?

I keep eyeing this one. I have the pnp game so I'm going to give that a go before I decide.
Report Spam   Logged
weateallthepies
Forum Curious

View Profile
Karma Good 10 Posts Combination
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 11:13:44 am »

I'd also recommend something from th Men of Iron series if the period interests you at all. They aren't overly complex games but they have a really nice flow to them. I've recently been playing Blood & Roses which I really like, but I love the movement in Infidel, a very cinematic kind of battle emerges.
Report Spam   Logged
Calandale
Mockingbird
Wyrd
Forum Malcontent

I mock you

View Profile WWW
Search 500 Posts Karma Bad
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2014, 11:14:56 am »

The PnP is about as short as any interesting scenarios are. Some of
the  training ones are shorter though. I'm guessing somewhere
in the 2-4 hour range. The thing to remember is that there's a lot
more to UC than what's in Case Blue, the politics and economics are
well done (though different from a lot of earlier games).
Report Spam   Logged
pnpfanatic
Now 100% PnP
Forum Malcontent

View Profile
100 Posts Level 4 Karma Bad
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 02:28:12 am »

Red Winter is an excellent choice due not only to being a great classic style wargame but all the support for it and the bite size chunks really lets you enjoy the narrative. It is an amazing story.

CSI is the place to put together a great package of GMT titles right now. They have several titles in the $23.50 - $35.00 range that have a lot of bang for the buck and if you go with the free shipping by getting $100 worth it is a huge cash saving.

Current titles in that range include:

Chandragupta (GBoH)
Chariots of Fire (GBoH)
Dead of Winter (AWC)
Devil's Horsemen: The Mongol War Machine in the 13th Century (GBoH)
FAB: Sicily
Nightfighter

The entry starts here http://www.coolstuffinc.com/page/716

And as the name says I am heavy into PnP. It's all about picking the right printer and materials (having a laser printer is great for rules - with color of course it's all about the ink carts) and you can make everything from no assembly required all the way up to a monster game that is available at no cost (the designer is a very cool guy). And there are a lot of titles to choose from. Let me know and I'll zip up a bundle for you to look over (these are all available free from the designers).

And welcome to The Box...if you need anything just post...there's a lot of wargame experience in here.
Report Spam   Logged
rburkej
n00b

It's personal.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 08:44:18 pm »

So many great suggestions. I will try Case Blue out first and post back my thoughts with any questions.
Report Spam   Logged
usrlocal
Magnificent Bastard
Forum Malcontent

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2014, 08:48:07 pm »

So many great suggestions. I will try Case Blue out first and post back my thoughts with any questions.

Ummmmmmm....
Report Spam   Logged
rstites25
Forum Curious

View Profile
Level 4 50 Posts Poll Voter
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2014, 08:51:47 pm »

Oh...Unconditional Surrender Case Blue, not the OCS Case Blue  Grin

I don't see any reason why the published US would be to complex for a newb. The rules are well done and the individual systems are not that complex. There are scenarios that aren't just smaller in scope, but only require a limited set of the rules. [The first is purely ground combat with one side being able to commit air support; the second walks you through an amphibious invasion and the weather mechanic; the third adds in production (I think); the fourth diplomacy; and it seems like there is a 5th as well, but I can't remember it.] The training scenarios can be played very quickly to get up to speed, and then if you want you should be able to jump into the full campaign no problem.
Report Spam   Logged
usrlocal
Magnificent Bastard
Forum Malcontent

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2014, 08:54:07 pm »

Oh...Unconditional Surrender Case Blue, not the OCS Case Blue  Grin

Oh, ok.  *phew!*
Report Spam   Logged
The Great Kha
Forum Curious

View Profile
10 Posts Topic Starter Level 3
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2014, 09:13:45 pm »

Red Winter is an excellent choice due not only to being a great classic style wargame but all the support for it and the bite size chunks really lets you enjoy the narrative. It is an amazing story.

CSI is the place to put together a great package of GMT titles right now. They have several titles in the $23.50 - $35.00 range that have a lot of bang for the buck and if you go with the free shipping by getting $100 worth it is a huge cash saving.

Current titles in that range include:

Chandragupta (GBoH)
Chariots of Fire (GBoH)
Dead of Winter (AWC)
Devil's Horsemen: The Mongol War Machine in the 13th Century (GBoH)
FAB: Sicily
Nightfighter

The entry starts here http://www.coolstuffinc.com/page/716

And as the name says I am heavy into PnP. It's all about picking the right printer and materials (having a laser printer is great for rules - with color of course it's all about the ink carts) and you can make everything from no assembly required all the way up to a monster game that is available at no cost (the designer is a very cool guy). And there are a lot of titles to choose from. Let me know and I'll zip up a bundle for you to look over (these are all available free from the designers).

And welcome to The Box...if you need anything just post...there's a lot of wargame experience in here.

Kind of off topic, but I've been considering picking up Dead of Winter. I've heard horrid things about the level of errata etc, and this has turned me off.

Does anyone here have experience with the game and can advise me one way or the other.
Report Spam   Logged

Fuck the Dodgers, BAET LA.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: