The Game Box
March 28, 2024, 07:23:49 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The new site is Running.
This one is closed.

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Religion

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Religion  (Read 4281 times)
Calandale
Mockingbird
Wyrd
Forum Malcontent

I mock you

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
Search 500 Posts Karma Bad
« Reply #195 on: July 23, 2014, 10:25:44 am »

So, you're missing a piece. It's so they can get through their day in a manner that benefits society.
It gives reason to do what is necessary for a culture to survive. Religion is not one man's crutch,
but a tool (like any organization) for harnessing the individual into something greater.

People can sit around drinking booze all day - but a society based upon that will inevitably fail.
Institutions, like organized religions, are the tools by which society is able to progress. They can
be viewed as a part of a social survival of the fittest.

I don't think people care about society. I think that the natural condition of man is to be self-centered, "how can I make my life as comfortable as possible." Even if there is some sort of view to better society, its more often because a good society benefits "me." That is still man-centered.

Remember, I'm a cultural materialist. PEOPLE don't need to think they're doing well by society - any more than propagation
of the species is a particular desire needed for reproduction. It's that reward systems and morals are formed which inevitably
promote the overall strength of society. Why inevitable? Same reason as natural selection - the ones which are ineffective
cause their society to die out, change, or be absorbed.

This says absolutely nothing about the spiritual side of things though. Individual need for spirituality may
or may not be related to the growth of institutions.

But the CM-view can be used to show that religions have had an important place in
promoting overall cultures (as has war, btw) throughout history. Needs may have changed
though, with the coming of weapons capable of destroying all societies.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: