The Game Box
April 16, 2024, 01:40:43 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The new site is Running.
This one is closed.

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

So, how's it going

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So, how's it going  (Read 1637 times)
Calandale
Mockingbird
Wyrd
Forum Malcontent

I mock you

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
Search 500 Posts Karma Bad
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2014, 09:05:14 pm »

btw - first day without new users since the 12th.

I'd guess this is about the size we're gonna reach.
Report Spam   Logged
usrlocal
Magnificent Bastard
Forum Malcontent

Tony Clifton's love child

View Profile
Gallery Linux User Level 5
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2014, 09:38:05 pm »

Show unread posts since last visit.

Seems to indicate it clears them if you leave.

Nope. They definitely hang around until read or marked read. Just tested it.   Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged
Calandale
Mockingbird
Wyrd
Forum Malcontent

I mock you

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2014, 10:20:44 pm »

Are you sure you were logged out?
Report Spam   Logged
usrlocal
Magnificent Bastard
Forum Malcontent

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2014, 10:24:59 pm »

Are you sure you were logged out?

Yup. Just logged out and then back in. They were still there.
Report Spam   Logged
pnpfanatic
Now 100% PnP
Forum Malcontent

View Profile
100 Posts Level 4 Karma Bad
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2014, 01:20:58 am »

From chaos comes entropy, not order.

This is your ship Captain. To allow a free wheel becomes detrimental.

It's time to focus. (And no, I'm not talking about being Thor with a ban hammer Smiley )

My interest lies in design, publishing, theory, modeling. I'm trying to build up something that attracts names. The old school probably won't show. They have lived under the old system their whole lives. But those who try new things may just show up. I'm going after them directly. I have been working on a project that has me gathering information on designers from all over the world.

We are at the point where the hobby grows or the hobby dies. The crowd funding world is dismantling the old ways. Designers don't have to settle for less now. I am working on a series of books whose whole purpose is to grow a new breed of player and designer.

A lot of people are not going to like it but I feel the need to complete these projects and at least try to bring some light back on the subject. My work will be like a Phoenix. Burn the old world to give birth to the new. Gaming is becoming more important every day. Look up gamification if you want to see how important.

There will be those that emulate the old world, but that world is slowly passing. Over the next five years you will see the drop off from pure attrition. Sphere just showed up over at BGG after a 14 month absence. I had begun to wonder myself if he was gone.

This place can be very important. You belittle it and I don't understand why. I tried something like this once. I would have given my testicles to have the results you have here.

I plan on going through and cleaning up my mess here and people can think what they want. A little fire to get things heated up is one thing. But you can't play grab ass forever. They expect this to fail and it will without constant work and vigilance. You have done more than a man's job and now it's time to start shaping the clay.

I know you are going to come back with something about this not being a big deal and how this place will stay small if it stays at all. I would ask you to trust me on this. Big changes are coming.

You can look at the numbers here and see what could benefit from harvesting possibly from other sites. Wargames are doing well, but other genres need attention and they are my weak point but not yours. Your taste in games provides a great start to look for others to come join us.

Chief, you got a great house here that can provide the way forward for both your personal interests and the benefit it can bring to a divided community. Youth wins and that's why I'm going after them. New blood must be found and I'm doing everything in my power to bring it.

I understand if you don't see eye to eye on anything I'm saying. But I'm 50 years old and I made a life out of analyzing trends, data and human nature. I wouldn't be sitting here in this chair now if I didn't get it right at least part of the time.

Now I need a couple weeks to straighten this office up and get all my gear hooked back up and start laying the pavement for a new road. I hope you stick with this. It's the only life raft in what's about to become some choppy seas.
Report Spam   Logged
Calandale
Mockingbird
Wyrd
Forum Malcontent

I mock you

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2014, 01:41:50 am »

What little mess there is will be buried in time. If the place lasts,
without breaking its principle of non-moderation, more messes will
come - especially if it grows.
Report Spam   Logged
pnpfanatic
Now 100% PnP
Forum Malcontent

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2014, 02:26:06 am »

What little mess there is will be buried in time. If the place lasts,
without breaking its principle of non-moderation, more messes will
come - especially if it grows.

Hey man, even you said religion got too hot Smiley

And no moderation necessary. My mess is mine and I plan on getting it off the screen and leaving the initial post as clarification. I was white hot that day. The worst possible news. For being alive that is. 6 months more of my life and money wasted packing for the fourth time and then being told the DOT had run out of funds...again!

But I'm going to bury my head in this work, new 11 x 17 scanner will be here Monday, I like doing layout old school and have always had problems with things like Photoshop. I'm with learning software like you are with learning rules...a lot of it better come naturally or I'm rantin' and ravin' Cheesy

And my main game table goes back up tomorrow...woot!
Report Spam   Logged
usrlocal
Magnificent Bastard
Forum Malcontent

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2014, 07:53:12 am »

I thought that whole thing was a pretty interesting stress test of the non-moderation principle, as practiced here. The flame war was self contained and eventually ran its course. Kudos to the participants for moving on.
Report Spam   Logged
Rockhopper
Kevin
Forum Malcontent

View Profile
100 Posts Level 4 Topic Starter
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2014, 07:56:36 am »

I thought that whole thing was a pretty interesting stress test of the non-moderation principle, as practiced here. The flame war was self contained and eventually ran its course. Kudos to the participants for moving on.

Well, that was just only religion though. Just wait until we hit the big time, definition of wargame, Twilight Struggle...
Report Spam   Logged
usrlocal
Magnificent Bastard
Forum Malcontent

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2014, 07:57:47 am »

Well, that was just only religion though. Just wait until we hit the big time, definition of wargame, Twilight Struggle...

Hush now!    Grin
Report Spam   Logged
egg_salad
Forum Curious

Bareass birdness -- look at me!

View Profile
Topic Starter Level 3 10 Posts
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2014, 10:21:07 am »

Hush now!    Grin

Report Spam   Logged
pnpfanatic
Now 100% PnP
Forum Malcontent

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2014, 12:54:36 pm »

HA!
Report Spam   Logged
usrlocal
Magnificent Bastard
Forum Malcontent

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2014, 08:41:58 am »

Holy crap! The 'most online' statistic jumped from about 168 to 440! What did you do, Enrico? Cross-list this site with Pr0nHub or something?    Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Calandale
Mockingbird
Wyrd
Forum Malcontent

I mock you

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2014, 10:02:15 am »

I think they were bots. All left at once.
Report Spam   Logged
billyboy
Forum Curious

Wargamer

View Profile
50 Posts 10 Posts Level 3
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2014, 10:05:53 am »

I could be wrong but I think Enricos and my posts on BGG ( with the help of Michael (the Troll) Dorass)  may have brought a few gawkers over from BGG. I hope they like what they see and stay.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: