The Game Box
March 28, 2024, 03:54:24 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The new site is Running.
This one is closed.

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Political interactions are among my favorite designs

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Political interactions are among my favorite designs  (Read 3615 times)
usrlocal
Magnificent Bastard
Forum Malcontent

Tony Clifton's love child

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Gallery Linux User Level 5
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2014, 07:22:28 pm »

I think it's the best 3+ player CCG out there. And mostly because of the politics.

That would be Shadowfist, but s/'politics'/'ass-kicking'.

I've never played Shadowfist, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt...

Well, I never played Jyhad, either. But now you have me interested.   Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
Rosebluepaint
n00b

Was 'Agip' on BGG

View Profile
Level 1 First Post Windows User
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2014, 06:49:12 am »

I have just played the other Founding Fathers (Rick Heli's game).  I have not played Republic of Rome (and by the way he does an 'Expansion'/Alternate version of that - Republic of Carthage, playable standalone or in combination, though you do need RoR for some of the components).
I play group solo like Calendale.  Each player fields Statesmen who vie to become President whereupon they attempt to resolve 4 Issues, perhaps passing them to a Cabinet appointed statesman or haveing to go through Congressional votes.
Earning cabinet or Presidential/Vice-P. roles garners 'Popularity', as does resolving Issues, and the sum of all your Staesmen's earned popularity determines the winner at the end.
The Pres./Vice-Pres. voting mechanism is a simple placement  of cubes upon succesively adjacent States to your starting state revolving around blocking your oppents due to the limited vacancy-for-cubes per state.

I have only played it once so far, I enjoyed it and can see that it would require alot of plays or intense analysis each turn to determine how to flow it.
In my game one Presidential hopeful, a Party Leader most of the game due to high popularity, could never win the Presidency because he starts in New England and opponents always blocked his campaigning from breaking out into the Mid-East and South by blocking New York of Pennsylvania.  He was buying newspapers furiously at the end in order to push public support over to his party thus favouring turn order for selection of running mate and campaign cube positioning.  Alas, the leading player recklessly ruined the economy resulting in a sudden death game end on a (un)lucky roll.  The third deck of Issues had not been entered.  Of course the other players should have allowed in more taxes and tariffs to boost the revenues so as to stop this, but when they had Presidents they didn't do so.

For a first learning game it was great.  I would be really interested in seeing any Calendale video on this, or any reports from others.

Apparently Rick intended to keep the spirit of RoR but smoothen or simplify out some fiddliness.

How do RoR, etc. compare to the COIN games?  In this FF the player kind of represents some abstract skill at statemanship, for the victor is determined by the overall best at that, measuring it in terms of 'Popularity'. Each player fields statesmen from competing parties, whilst in COIN each player is one definable faction. Yet in both I believe cooperation is very important and necessary. In this you are trying to keep everything afloat together whilst creaming off the best of it.  In COIN is there the danger of it all folding unless you cooperate, or are you only only using each other temporarily in order to get off the better in the bargain?

Rosebluepaint (Agip on BGG)
Report Spam   Logged
Calandale
Mockingbird
Wyrd
Forum Malcontent

I mock you

View Profile WWW
Search 500 Posts Karma Bad
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2014, 08:57:33 am »

RoR feels much more like it tells a story to me than COIN does. There is limited cooperation between
SOME COIN factions, but you're never fighting against the system itself; there is no shared baby in
COIN.

Should be getting FF by the end of the month.
Report Spam   Logged
Calandale
Mockingbird
Wyrd
Forum Malcontent

I mock you

View Profile WWW
Search 500 Posts Karma Bad
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2014, 05:50:05 am »

New thread: http://thegamebox.gamesontables.com/index.php?topic=35.0
Report Spam   Logged