The Game Box
March 19, 2024, 04:50:59 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The new site is Running.
This one is closed.

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

The Big Baseball Thread

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Big Baseball Thread  (Read 1003 times)
anarchy
Passive Aggressive Gamer
Forum Malcontent

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
Level 5 100 Posts Signature
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2014, 09:49:32 pm »

They feel more true to the genre to me than say the old Fallout or Baldur's Gate did.
Those felt like I was playing tactical games, rather than role playing ones.

I cannot comment on BG, but the original Fallout 1:

1. Made character statistics meaningful. Try playing FO1 with an Intelligence of 3 or less. A high Luck opens so many more encounters. A high Charisma and Speech skill and you can bluff your way through the end boss.
2. Have multiple solutions to almost every problem. We used three character archetypes when designing: Combat Boy, Speech Boy and Stealth Boy. Every puzzle and encounter is solvable by at least two of those archetypes.
3. Make player decisions have consequences. Part of this was Brian Fargo telling the dev team MANY times about the boy and his dog in the early part of Wasteland. Part of this was we were purposely designing the game to be repayable and wanted it to play differently each time. Depth of gameplay over width of gameplay to use one of the terms bandied around during development.

(The Fallout 2 team went for width and depth, but I actually think they went a little overboard in the size of that game. Of course, I'm partial to FO1.)

This was the result of so many of us being GURPS fans. We actually held an in-company poll to decide which license to go after: World of Darkness, FASA's Earthdawn and GURPS. We of course voted for the one RPG that didn't have a strong setting, which was kind of a mistake. The game that turned into Fallout was going to be a Time Travel setting, but that was too expensive to develop. Then it was going to be a generic fantasy setting for a bit. Then a false fantasy game set on a sci-fi generation ship. (erm, rambling)

What I'm trying to day is that Fallout has a very strong paper and pencil RPG background. Heck, the SPECIAL system was based on my home brew RPG system that I had been running for over 10 years (mechanics, not setting).

Oh, and GO ANGELS! (Trying to stay on topic...)
Report Spam   Logged

Meh.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: