The Game Box
March 18, 2024, 10:38:46 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The new site is Running.
This one is closed.

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

The Big Baseball Thread

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Big Baseball Thread  (Read 988 times)
Calandale
Mockingbird
Wyrd
Forum Malcontent

I mock you

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
Search 500 Posts Karma Bad
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2014, 09:17:22 pm »

Not sure why I didn't think of that.

Maybe because most places I've been, they're considered the standard these days.  Undecided

Well, that and the turn-based threw me off. Most of what I've played are more like
1st Person Shooters than anything else.

Meh, **** like Fallout 3 and Oblivious barely qualify as rpg's

They feel more true to the genre to me than say the old Fallout or Baldur's Gate did.
Those felt like I was playing tactical games, rather than role playing ones.
Report Spam   Logged
The Great Kha
Forum Curious

View Profile
10 Posts Topic Starter Level 3
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2014, 09:30:38 pm »

Not sure why I didn't think of that.

Maybe because most places I've been, they're considered the standard these days.  Undecided

Well, that and the turn-based threw me off. Most of what I've played are more like
1st Person Shooters than anything else.

Meh, **** like Fallout 3 and Oblivious barely qualify as rpg's

I very much disagree about the original Fallout. The combat was hardly tactical and actually quite poor, what made Fallout rich was the C&C (choices and consequences), as well as the exploration and world building.

They feel more true to the genre to me than say the old Fallout or Baldur's Gate did.
Report Spam   Logged

Fuck the Dodgers, BAET LA.
desertfoxleo
Leo Z from BGG
Forum Curious

View Profile
Poll Voter Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2014, 09:45:13 pm »

Pirates fan here - been one since the 1970's. Last season was really sweet after 20 years of losing, and they're doing well again this season. Beating up on the Dodgers tonight, so tomorrow will be the rubber game of the series.
Report Spam   Logged
Rockhopper
Kevin
Forum Malcontent

View Profile
100 Posts Level 4 Topic Starter
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2014, 09:48:09 pm »

Life-long Orioles fan. Doing well, within the AL East at least, but the West is looking strong. We're drooping on a west coast swing through OAK and ANA.
Report Spam   Logged
anarchy
Passive Aggressive Gamer
Forum Malcontent

View Profile WWW
Level 5 100 Posts Signature
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2014, 09:49:32 pm »

I cannot comment on BG, but the original Fallout 1:

1. Made character statistics meaningful. Try playing FO1 with an Intelligence of 3 or less. A high Luck opens so many more encounters. A high Charisma and Speech skill and you can bluff your way through the end boss.
2. Have multiple solutions to almost every problem. We used three character archetypes when designing: Combat Boy, Speech Boy and Stealth Boy. Every puzzle and encounter is solvable by at least two of those archetypes.
3. Make player decisions have consequences. Part of this was Brian Fargo telling the dev team MANY times about the boy and his dog in the early part of Wasteland. Part of this was we were purposely designing the game to be repayable and wanted it to play differently each time. Depth of gameplay over width of gameplay to use one of the terms bandied around during development.

(The Fallout 2 team went for width and depth, but I actually think they went a little overboard in the size of that game. Of course, I'm partial to FO1.)

This was the result of so many of us being GURPS fans. We actually held an in-company poll to decide which license to go after: World of Darkness, FASA's Earthdawn and GURPS. We of course voted for the one RPG that didn't have a strong setting, which was kind of a mistake. The game that turned into Fallout was going to be a Time Travel setting, but that was too expensive to develop. Then it was going to be a generic fantasy setting for a bit. Then a false fantasy game set on a sci-fi generation ship. (erm, rambling)

What I'm trying to day is that Fallout has a very strong paper and pencil RPG background. Heck, the SPECIAL system was based on my home brew RPG system that I had been running for over 10 years (mechanics, not setting).

Oh, and GO ANGELS! (Trying to stay on topic...)
Report Spam   Logged

Meh.
The Great Kha
Forum Curious

View Profile
10 Posts Topic Starter Level 3
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2014, 09:55:39 pm »

Pirates fan here - been one since the 1970's. Last season was really sweet after 20 years of losing, and they're doing well again this season. Beating up on the Dodgers tonight, so tomorrow will be the rubber game of the series.

Thank you for beating the Dodgers.
Report Spam   Logged

Fuck the Dodgers, BAET LA.
Foo Dog
Young Turk
n00b

View Profile
Karma Good Combination Level 2
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2014, 10:06:30 pm »

Grew up a Blue Jays fan and lived in Toronto during their fantastic run in the early 90s. I still like the Jays but watch more Mariners games now that I live in the Pacific Northwest.

I try to go to Nat Bailey stadium as often as I can to watch the Vancouver Canadians. I can't get enough baseball. Now excuse me as I sneak off to play Strat-o-Matic Baseball.  Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged
Calandale
Mockingbird
Wyrd
Forum Malcontent

I mock you

View Profile WWW
Search 500 Posts Karma Bad
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2014, 10:18:03 pm »

...Then a false fantasy game set on a sci-fi generation ship. (erm, rambling)

Heh...I tried to get my old RPG group to go for this idea without knowing what they were getting into.

Instead, they decided on Urchins of Baghdad (though the guy who suggested it said Merchants).
Report Spam   Logged
NthPower
Still Alive
Forum Curious

View Profile
Level 3 10 Posts Poll Voter
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2014, 01:32:00 am »

I grew up in Minnesota and have been a Twins fan since I was a little kid.  And as expected, they are terrible this year.
Report Spam   Logged
Cazaril
Forum Curious

View Profile
Level 3 10 Posts Poll Voter
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2014, 02:15:37 am »

I grew up in Minnesota and have been a Twins fan since I was a little kid.  And as expected, they are terrible this year.

That goes double for me - grew up in Minnesota, live in this state, probably going to grow old here (wait, I'm old already!).

-Caz
Report Spam   Logged
S Trauth
Forum Curious

View Profile WWW
Karma Bad 10 Posts Level 3
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2014, 08:38:58 am »

I used to be a Cub fan - but once the Hawks won after 49 years -I decided that if a team was so incompetent that they couldn't even reach playing for it all in over 50 odd years - let along go a century without winning it - then it was time for a 'divorce' - now they could go all 'Back to the Future' now - and I promise I would not care one bit.

At least the White Sox won once in my lifetime... Cheesy I guess that will have to do me.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: