The Game Box
April 19, 2024, 09:01:38 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The new site is Running.
This one is closed.

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Late-period WW2 Games - Red Storm Over/Storming the Reich

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Late-period WW2 Games - Red Storm Over/Storming the Reich  (Read 463 times)
desertfoxleo
Leo Z from BGG
Forum Curious

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Poll Voter Apple User Mobile User
« on: July 22, 2014, 03:04:27 pm »

OK, I remain hopeless in terms of my wargame addiction. I've chronicled before how I've tried to slow, if not halt, my wargame purchases, as I have realized just how stupidly large my collection already is (though, not as stupidly large as some of collections that the rest of you have!). However, I got my periodic email from Compass Games telling me that only 15 copies of Ted Racier's "Red Storm Over the Reich" remained in their warehouse, and that there would be no reprints. I'm such a sucker, so of course I bought it. Further, as they also noted that if you bought this game, you'd not only get for the pre-order price, BUT, you'd also get $10 (yes, 10 whole dollars) off a second purchase, I went ahead and ordered Ted's western front edition, "Storming the Reich"! So, here I am, $124 poorer*, and awaiting two entirely unnecessary additions to my collection. I suspect the meds I'm on may have had something to do with my weakness of will (I just had a root canal this afternoon). However, in my defense:
1) I'm drawn to these late-war situations, and the desperate fights that occurred as the German army tried repeatedly, and with less and less success, to plug the gaps that would be torn in their lines by the Allies, while the Allies strove to push into the heart of Germany in a bid to end the war as fast as possible while struggling with ever lengthening supply lines and leaner and leaner replacements. Having read Earl Ziemke's "Stalingrad to Berlin - Defeat in the East" earlier this year, I find the subject irresistible.
2) I've heard nothing but good things about these games from those who've played them.

So, if anyone has additional good things to say about these games, or just wants to discuss late-war games (or even just late-war history), please comment. If anyone has bad things to say about these games, well, don't say anything - I'd like to avoid feeling any buyer's remorse for a few days at least!  Grin

*Actually, more like $270 poorer, because I just bought eight (Cool new Star Trek Attack Wing expansions too! Whhhhaaaat? Hey, if you're gonna fall off the wagon, I say do it in style!  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 03:06:54 pm by desertfoxleo » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Calandale
Mockingbird
Wyrd
Forum Malcontent

I mock you

View Profile WWW
Search 500 Posts Karma Bad
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 03:15:55 pm »

I just picked up Mighty Endeavor, because I liked that it did the whole Battle for Germany thing in the new edition.
Report Spam   Logged
anarchy
Passive Aggressive Gamer
Forum Malcontent

View Profile WWW
Level 5 100 Posts Signature
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 03:19:23 pm »

I just picked up Mighty Endeavor, because I liked that it did the whole Battle for Germany thing in the new edition.

For those of us who don't get the reference, what is the whole Battle of German thing?
Report Spam   Logged

Meh.
desertfoxleo
Leo Z from BGG
Forum Curious

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 03:21:19 pm »

I also picked up the new edition of Mighty Endeavor for the same reason. I hope to compare how it plays versus separate playings of Red Storm Over the Reich and Storming the Reich. Note that the last two can NOT be linked directly, but there's nothing stopping people from simply playing them simultaneously. I'm a big fan of SCS games, so I'm pretty sure that I will like the new Mighty Endeavor. At the same time, I'm guessing that the two Compass Games offerings, taken together, are bigger games with more counters, but from what I've read, I'm not sure that the rulesets will be any more complex than ME's SCS rules, which hit just about the perfect spot for me in terms of ease of play and chrome.
Report Spam   Logged
Calandale
Mockingbird
Wyrd
Forum Malcontent

I mock you

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 03:23:13 pm »

For those of us who don't get the reference, what is the whole Battle of German thing?

Maybe I have the name wrong. It was an SPI game where one player is the West, the other the Soviets,
and both play the Germans facing their opponent. Basically a race to see who gets more of Germany.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/3986/battle-germany
Report Spam   Logged
capt_s
Forum Malcontent

Fancy Tickled

View Profile
100 Posts Signature Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 03:25:46 pm »

Battle for Germany was always spoken highly of amongst the members of my local club.

I, of course, have never played it. In fact .... my only experience with a big "end game" WW2 situation was from playing Barbarossa to Berlin of all things.
Report Spam   Logged

I should have been a pair of ragged claws   
Scuttling across the floors of silent seas.

- TS Eliot: The Love Song of J Alfred Prufrock.
desertfoxleo
Leo Z from BGG
Forum Curious

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 03:27:55 pm »

The "Battle for Germany" just refers to the final stages of the Second World War in Europe, where literally, the final campaigns from both east and west were focused on the conquest of Germany proper. To some degree, the final lines were rather predetermined due to the political agreement reached at the Yalta Conference between Russia and the Western Allies. However, that's not to say that their respective military commanders couldn't contemplate pushing their forces beyond those boundaries, though they would have to consider if the ensuing lives lost would be for naught, as the political situation would have demanded that they relinquish any of their gains when hostilities ceased. Certainly, on the Western Allies' side, there was considerable debate about going on to Berlin, beating the Soviets to the capital, even while knowing about the Yalta agreement, which ceded the Nazi capital to the Soviets (except of course for the three Western occupation zones).

And, yeah, in gaming terms, it refers to the concept first used in SPI's "Battle for Germany", where one player gets to play the Western Allies and the Eastern German defenders, while the other player gets to play the Western German defenders and the Russians. Neat dynamic where each player is trying to push into Germany as fast as possible on one front while holding out the opposite Allied army on the other front. ME 2nd Edition does the same. One could play RSOTR and STR in the same manner, though again, the games aren't formally linked. It would at least make sure one player isn't stuck playing a hopeless German defense on both fronts (of course, some of us revel in playing hopeless defenses, so it might not be such a negative for some players).
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 03:33:25 pm by desertfoxleo » Report Spam   Logged
Calandale
Mockingbird
Wyrd
Forum Malcontent

I mock you

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 03:28:23 pm »

Yeah, I'm pretty weak on the subject. Have a couple D-Day games, the Victory in the West stuff,
AH's Battle of the Bulge, and just picked up Fortress Europe. My tastes in WWII were mainly the grand
strategy followed by North Africa.
Report Spam   Logged
anarchy
Passive Aggressive Gamer
Forum Malcontent

View Profile WWW
Level 5 100 Posts Signature
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 03:32:31 pm »

Maybe I have the name wrong. It was an SPI game where one player is the West, the other the Soviets,
and both play the Germans facing their opponent. Basically a race to see who gets more of Germany.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/3986/battle-germany

Ahhh! I had the name wrong, sorry. I had never heard of Battle for Germany until now, didn't realize it was an SPI game.

That sounds neat. I should have just googled it first before asking. The MMP site sums it up pretty well, too.

Following the same allocation of responsibilities as the game Battle for Germany (SPI, 1975), one player controls the Western Allies and the East Front Germans while the other controls the Russians and the West Front Germans. The two players compete by seeing which grouping of Allies can conqure as much German territory as possible—while they also play against their opponent to stop the opposite front. Never a dull moment as both players are always playing one side or the other at the same time.
Report Spam   Logged

Meh.
Calandale
Mockingbird
Wyrd
Forum Malcontent

I mock you

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 03:39:01 pm »

I trust Dean's hand and the SCS core to have guided this quite well.
Seemed worth going for the more modern game.
Report Spam   Logged
desertfoxleo
Leo Z from BGG
Forum Curious

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 03:47:47 pm »

I should note that the first pangs of pain from the root canal are starting to manifest themselves. It will be time for more drugs in a couple of hours. I wonder what games I'll buy then! I should probably deactivate my eBay account for a couple of days, just in case...
Report Spam   Logged
capt_s
Forum Malcontent

Fancy Tickled

View Profile
100 Posts Signature Topic Starter
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2014, 03:56:22 pm »

The pain may only bring on the onset of buyer's remorse ...

... or make you buy lots more to pick up your spirits! Yah!!!!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

I should have been a pair of ragged claws   
Scuttling across the floors of silent seas.

- TS Eliot: The Love Song of J Alfred Prufrock.
billyboy
Forum Curious

Wargamer

View Profile
50 Posts 10 Posts Level 3
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2014, 09:05:16 pm »

I have the new Mighty Endeavor, its going on the table soon. I liked the original. I played Red Storm over the Reich a couple of months ago. I liked it. Its a big game and has quite unique mechanics. Took awhile for the rules to fully sink in but it was worth it.
Report Spam   Logged
usrlocal
Magnificent Bastard
Forum Malcontent

Tony Clifton's love child

View Profile
Gallery Linux User Level 5
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2014, 09:11:38 pm »

I wonder what games I'll buy then!

*cough* Circus Train *cough*
Report Spam   Logged
kira1y

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2014, 09:15:50 pm »

I have the new Mighty Endeavor, its going on the table soon. I liked the original.

If you feel like kicking my ass at it sometime let me know. I'd love to get a game started up with ya again sometime. I assume there's a VASSAL mod for it someplace?
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: