The Game Box
March 29, 2024, 07:06:52 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The new site is Running.
This one is closed.

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Successors

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Successors  (Read 187 times)
Calandale
Mockingbird
Wyrd
Forum Malcontent

I mock you

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
Search 500 Posts Karma Bad
« on: July 25, 2014, 01:35:56 am »

When Alexander the Great died in 323 BC, he left no clear heir to the immense empire he had conquered. It was not long after his death that the Macedonian generals began to war among themselves over who would be the regent or successor to Alexander’s empire. By 305 BC they had given up on succession and began to carve out their own kingdoms. Successors III is a four-player game based on those wars.

Successors was first published in 1995 by Avalon Hill. Some years later a second edition rulebook was published that gave more options for the Tyche cards. Successors III builds on the foundation of the Successors II rules set plus expansion cards that appeared in the Boardgamer. Minor refinements have been made to make the game easier to play and increase enjoyment. The map is very similar to the original with some minor changes around Macedonia. Counters have the same excellent artwork for the generals and new GMT artwork for the combat units and control markers. The Tyche cards have received the most changes—nearly every card has had some minor modifications and a few new cards have been added.

In addition to the changes, the rules have been cleaned up and improved. Years of questions and answers on Consimworld have been used to clarify the rules. The rules also include hints on strategy from a number a long-time Successors players, and an extended example of play.

GAME COMPONENTS

1 Hard mounted mapboard
1 rule book
3 sheets of counters
12 plastic stands
2 player aid cards
72 playing cards

~ GMT

Intro

Review

DAR

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

capt_s
Forum Malcontent

Fancy Tickled

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
100 Posts Signature Topic Starter
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 07:53:20 am »

I like this game. In fact, it has supplied some of my more enjoyable multi-player experiences. More from the cross table yip yap, but still... I have played it four times to date, which is a fair amount for me.

And in each of those four times the eventual winner ended up as the last man standing in a high VP area. Probably mainland Europe. Which illustrates one of the games slight quirks. That is, combat can be devastating and the map is large enough that it can prevent effective (ie timely) reaction to prevent a winning position.

Lessons I have learned from my limited playing are:

- Don't put all of your eggs in one basket. Unless you are truly desperate and/or the odds of you coming out on top are humungous. Even then..... hmmmmm ....

- Play to prevent someone holing up in Macedonia / Europe all by themselves.

- Don't **** around trying to get Alex back to Pella. Perhaps threaten to do it, but actually just drop him in a secure spot.

- Watch your back.

This is a beer and pretzels game. Don't invest too much into it and don't AP about moves. Play with friends, have a plan and have a laugh.

Report Spam   Logged

I should have been a pair of ragged claws   
Scuttling across the floors of silent seas.

- TS Eliot: The Love Song of J Alfred Prufrock.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: