The Game Box
March 28, 2024, 02:01:10 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The new site is Running.
This one is closed.

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Is Chess an Abstract Game? Is Go?

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Chess an Abstract Game? Is Go?  (Read 1008 times)
Calandale
Mockingbird
Wyrd
Forum Malcontent

I mock you

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
Search 500 Posts Karma Bad
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2014, 09:19:56 pm »

That's the problem I'm running against. Maybe abstract games is the wrong title.  Cry
Report Spam   Logged
stemcider
Forum Malcontent

dafuq

View Profile
Level 5 100 Posts Poll Voter
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2014, 09:33:16 pm »

That's the problem I'm running against. Maybe abstract games is the wrong title.  Cry

For this sub? It works I think. Chess and Go are what immediately come to mind when I think abstract games, and I am sure most everyone else is along the same line.

For another sub that is more directed at Poker and the like, just leave that in Other Games.

I wouldn't overthink it. I think one of the big benefits of having a small forum like this is that things don't have to be shoehorned unorganically into specific categories for easier access. BGG needs to do it because its so **** big. It would be extremely annoying to navigate that website without some kind of categorization.

On a smaller scale, things can develop naturally.
Report Spam   Logged
Calandale
Mockingbird
Wyrd
Forum Malcontent

I mock you

View Profile WWW
Search 500 Posts Karma Bad
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2014, 09:59:35 pm »

For this sub? It works I think. Chess and Go are what immediately come to mind when I think abstract games, and I am sure most everyone else is along the same line.

No. It's categorized by a game's subject. Chess and Go are military at heart.

For another sub that is more directed at Poker and the like, just leave that in Other Games.

The real icon for me here would be Othelo or Twixt. But, to keep with the categorization pattern,
I think traditional card games belong, as does Sorry.

I wouldn't overthink it. I think one of the big benefits of having a small forum like this is that things don't have to be shoehorned unorganically into specific categories for easier access. BGG needs to do it because its so ****ing big. It would be extremely annoying to navigate that website without some kind of categorization.

No no. What I do must make perfect sense. A place like BGG, with abstracts including Chess - and
then sometimes wargamng doing so - is merely a sign that they got it wrong. 

Which starts a new thread.
Report Spam   Logged
The Grinch
WB PITA
Forum Curious

Soylent Green™ is made out of sheeple!

View Profile
Level 4 Signature 50 Posts
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2014, 08:47:46 am »

I think euros are abstract games but deserve a separate classification due to their emphasis on family or group play. This is apparent because most 2 player focused euros are more on the abstract side.

What about Chinese Checkers? Parchisi type games?

Hell, Monopoly is heavily abstracted (and or wrong) for what it portrays, but it does seem
'about' the topic in a manner that most euros do.

Seems to me euros emphasise theme, which sets them apart from pure abstracts, and game mechanics that actually involve a degree of thought, compared to the heavy random elements of mass-market family games.
Report Spam   Logged

Ba-a-a-ah!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: