The Game Box
March 28, 2024, 06:53:08 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The new site is Running.
This one is closed.

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Board Game bitc[i][/i]hes!

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Board Game bitc[i][/i]hes!  (Read 5113 times)
billyboy

Badges: (View All)
« Reply #135 on: July 18, 2014, 03:12:11 pm »

Maybe I'll delete my account over there.  The place is just stupid anyways.  Undecided
I've thought about killing my main account several times now and just maintaining a non-supporter database only type account. Right now the only thing keeping me there is the AAC guild.

I think this is the way to go for me as well.  Lips sealed
Report Spam   Logged
billyboy

« Reply #136 on: July 18, 2014, 03:24:49 pm »

I had 2 geek mails just now. Both to do with the BGG marketplace. When I tried to respond it just says loading for "ever". I gave up. Am I blocked from geekmail? That would be a first.
Report Spam   Logged
Calandale
Mockingbird
Wyrd
Forum Malcontent

I mock you

View Profile WWW
Search 500 Posts Karma Bad
« Reply #137 on: July 18, 2014, 03:56:19 pm »

I had 2 geek mails just now. Both to do with the BGG marketplace. When I tried to respond it just says loading for "ever". I gave up. Am I blocked from geekmail? That would be a first.

It may be the intention, but you can get around it by forwarding them to the sender.

I don't remember if that was only happening when I was banned, or it the mail system is just fubar.
Report Spam   Logged
capt_s
Forum Malcontent

Fancy Tickled

View Profile
100 Posts Signature Topic Starter
« Reply #138 on: July 18, 2014, 04:00:55 pm »

I just tried to open an old geekmail as a "Reply" and there was no slowdown. Seems to be working.

For what it is worth ...
Report Spam   Logged

I should have been a pair of ragged claws   
Scuttling across the floors of silent seas.

- TS Eliot: The Love Song of J Alfred Prufrock.
billyboy

« Reply #139 on: July 18, 2014, 04:21:34 pm »

I had to do a work around by clicking on the letter underneath there username. I cannot reply to geekmail.
Report Spam   Logged
Calandale
Mockingbird
Wyrd
Forum Malcontent

I mock you

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: July 18, 2014, 04:25:44 pm »

I think it's a half-assed attempt to block them for banned folk then.
Either that or a equally half-assed attempt to allow them.
Report Spam   Logged
pnpfanatic
Now 100% PnP
Forum Malcontent

View Profile
100 Posts Level 4 Karma Bad
« Reply #141 on: July 18, 2014, 04:57:03 pm »

I'm curious - when you guys say 'banned' do you mean suspension or banned?

My understanding was that when banned you can't do anything (never been that far down the road so I don't know firsthand).

When I got suspensions it was usually just for posting in the forums. I could access files and images. Once I couldn't use geek mail and once I could and the time I could I believe was the 7 day most recent suspension.

Just wondering...
Report Spam   Logged
Calandale
Mockingbird
Wyrd
Forum Malcontent

I mock you

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: July 18, 2014, 05:55:23 pm »

They call it suspension. Everywhere else in the webz, it's banning.
Report Spam   Logged
desertfoxleo
Leo Z from BGG
Forum Curious

View Profile
Poll Voter Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #143 on: July 20, 2014, 09:54:25 am »

Just stumbled upon this place, when I wondered where Calandale had gone. So, yeah, seems like another cycle of disillusionment with BGG is on the upswing, and it seems like a lot of it has to do with the moderation, once again. I myself have never had any run-ins with the "law" over there, but it seems that almost everyone else has on one occasion or another. Thing is, it's not the moderation that's becoming a problem for me, it's the increasingly banal and repetitive postings. I will freely admit, though, that I'm not really helping to create what I'm looking for either - I'm more of the problem than the solution. You know what I'd really like? I'd like meaty posts that are more like articles in the old wargaming mags of yore - Fire & Movement, Moves, Strategy & Tactics, Panzerfaust & Campaign. Except, we'd all be writing these articles, and commenting on each other's articles.

I'm part of the problem, though, because it's been some time since I've attempted to write such a post/article, and yet I'm waiting around for someone else to do the heavy lifting, while I simply sit back and wait for interesting things to magically appear. I don't think I'm lazy per se, but the normal rigors of living leave me precious little energy (or time) to craft the kind of content I'm talking about. I suspect that it's much the same for everyone else, which is why our dialog in the BGG wargames subdomain seems to have devolved into little more than a wargame-flavored Chit-Chat den. So, I find more and more that I'm just clicking through page after page of inane comments and snarky retorts over there, finding little or nothing of substance.

Of course, I'm not sure things will necessarily be any different anywhere else, here included. I've only just arrived here, so I haven't had a chance yet to explore, but I'd have to think the same problem I described above will manifest here as well - the lack of time/energy to create really engaging content. Plus, I recognize that not everyone has the same expectations or desires for a forum. I might be looking for a place where I can read an endless stream of immersive wargaming commentary, but others might just be wanting to relax and shoot the breeze, without fear of heavy-handed moderation. That's fine, of course, but it simply means to me that this nirvana I seek may be unobtainable, regardless of venue. So be it. I may keep dropping back in here from time to time, though force of habit is strong with me, which means I will still spend time at BGG, even if I do continue to find that content is becoming more and more sparse.
Report Spam   Logged
usrlocal
Magnificent Bastard
Forum Malcontent

Tony Clifton's love child

View Profile
Gallery Linux User Level 5
« Reply #144 on: July 20, 2014, 10:00:04 am »

Heya Leo! Good to see you here.
Report Spam   Logged
Calandale
Mockingbird
Wyrd
Forum Malcontent

I mock you

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: July 20, 2014, 10:47:42 am »

You know what I'd really like? I'd like meaty posts that are more like articles in the old wargaming mags of yore - Fire & Movement, Moves, Strategy & Tactics, Panzerfaust & Campaign. Except, we'd all be writing these articles, and commenting on each other's articles.

Posts like that aren't really suited to fora, IMO.

Forum posts are transient in nature. Little blurbs; sociability; and every now and then a knock down
drag out fight about something, usually sparked by hyperbole on both sides. BGG's moderation inhibits
the latter, so nothing with any meat on it CAN survive.

Longer, more detailed analysis pays off better (in terms of recognition at least) when put in blogs
or the like. It also retains a level of accessibility that forum posts cannot - as they sink off the page
once no one is talking on them. There are some interesting bloggers at BGG worth following - though
I can't think of one who does mainly wargame stuff.
Report Spam   Logged
capt_s
Forum Malcontent

Fancy Tickled

View Profile
100 Posts Signature Topic Starter
« Reply #146 on: July 20, 2014, 11:29:21 am »

Perhaps if this site captures some momentum

AND

there is a need/desire/clamoring for it

AND

it can be set up ...

... then perhaps hosting blogs here might be fun? For those that want to expound in some detail. Some day perhaps? Not yet though.
Report Spam   Logged

I should have been a pair of ragged claws   
Scuttling across the floors of silent seas.

- TS Eliot: The Love Song of J Alfred Prufrock.
Calandale
Mockingbird
Wyrd
Forum Malcontent

I mock you

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: July 20, 2014, 11:36:59 am »

If someone wants to put effort in, I'll open up a board specifically for per-user blogs.
Report Spam   Logged
Sluggonics
Fancy Lad
Forum Malcontent

Tell you what, Smithers- have him beaten to a pulp

View Profile WWW
100 Posts Search Level 5
« Reply #148 on: July 21, 2014, 09:37:47 am »

There are some interesting bloggers at BGG worth following - though
I can't think of one who does mainly wargame stuff.

J.R. Tracy has a blog on the BGG website - Fun City Gaming.  They play non-wargame stuff, but his focus is on wargames.  He always posts great pictures - his gaming room is phenomenal.  Just looking at the games lining his shelves in the background of each picture is kind of trip through gaming history.

Also, although technically he has a BGG blog, it's mainly just links to his own hosted blog - Kev Sharp's Big Board blog comes readily to mind as a blog focused mainly on wargames.
Report Spam   Logged

Look out honey, 'cause I'm using technology!
usrlocal
Magnificent Bastard
Forum Malcontent

Tony Clifton's love child

View Profile
Gallery Linux User Level 5
« Reply #149 on: July 21, 2014, 02:18:15 pm »

J.R. Tracy has a blog on the BGG website - Fun City Gaming.  They play non-wargame stuff, but his focus is on wargames.  He always posts great pictures - his gaming room is phenomenal.  Just looking at the games lining his shelves in the background of each picture is kind of trip through gaming history.

I always enjoy reading J.R.'s blog. One of the few remaining BGG highlights.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: