The Game Box
March 28, 2024, 06:34:31 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The new site is Running.
This one is closed.

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Sword of Rome

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sword of Rome  (Read 690 times)
Calandale
Mockingbird
Wyrd
Forum Malcontent

I mock you

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
Search 500 Posts Karma Bad
« on: July 25, 2014, 10:33:44 pm »

The Sword of Rome is the latest in GMT’s acclaimed line of card-driven board games. It uses the popular base system invented by Mark Herman and featured in Ted Raicer’s Paths of Glory. This time, event cards and point-to-point maneuver enable up to four players to recreate the vicious struggles among the peoples of Italy and Sicily in 4th and 3rd Centuries BC. Who will dominate the western Mediterranean–and with it earn the right to vie for control of the known world?

The Sword of Rome includes rules and events for city loyalty, Roman colonies, tribal raids, Gallic indiscipline, Greek siege craft, Indian war elephants, Roman and Macedonian-style infantry tactics, the mountain fastness of Samnium, and much, much more. The game covers over 100 years of classical history in just 9 hands of cards.

The interplay of each power’s special strengths, of the strategy decks’ 152 event cards, and of up to four players’ diplomatic acumen provides unlimited variety. But the rules remain at low-moderate complexity, and the familiar, underlying system is easily mastered.

~GMT

Intro

Review

DAR

A second playthrough is available on my youtube channel.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Cazaril
Forum Curious

View Profile
Level 3 10 Posts Poll Voter
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 02:29:37 am »

Enrico, I bought this one from your review alone!

I don't suppose you get compensated in any way from your style of "play through" but you SHOULD damn it.

I know that there are several top reviewers that get game and after game after game for them to "review" and "endorse".  It does backfire from time to time but SO rarely. 

By the way, your style of ratings is what sets you apart too.  The fact that most games are like 5's or 6's.  It takes a lot to get to a 7 and for 8-10 it really has to be a legendary game.
Report Spam   Logged
Calandale
Mockingbird
Wyrd
Forum Malcontent

I mock you

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 10:31:34 am »

I don't suppose you get compensated in any way from your style of "play through" but you SHOULD damn it.

I wouldn't want to by the companies. I've chosen not to put ads on youtube.
This is fun rather than a job.

I know that there are several top reviewers that get game and after game after game for them to "review" and "endorse".  It does backfire from time to time but SO rarely. 

I'm not opposed to doing the occasional review copy, but as Scott Nicholson and Undead Viking's discussion revealed,
there's a strong downside. I have plenty of games that I want to cover already. It would be cool not to
have to pay for what I order - but it would suck to feel compelled to play all my new purchases to some
timeline.

By the way, your style of ratings is what sets you apart too.  The fact that most games are like 5's or 6's.  It takes a lot to get to a 7 and for 8-10 it really has to be a legendary game.
Report Spam   Logged
Calandale
Mockingbird
Wyrd
Forum Malcontent

I mock you

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 10:33:39 am »

I wouldn't want to by the companies. I've chosen not to put ads on youtube.
This is fun rather than a job.

I'm not opposed to doing the occasional review copy, but as Scott Nicholson and Undead Viking's discussion revealed,
there's a strong downside. I have plenty of games that I want to cover already. It would be cool not to
have to pay for what I order - but it would suck to feel compelled to play all my new purchases to some
timeline.

Remember though, my ratings are not some public statement about the value of the game. La Grande Guerre, and La Revolution Francaise,
with their 10 ratings are especially an issue here - I really love PLAYING these, but don't regard them as games which are as 'good' as many
of my 9's.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: