The Game Box
March 29, 2024, 10:19:06 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The new site is Running.
This one is closed.

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Tweaking Broken Games (A&A 1941)

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tweaking Broken Games (A&A 1941)  (Read 291 times)
anarchy
Passive Aggressive Gamer
Forum Malcontent

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
Level 5 100 Posts Signature
« on: July 26, 2014, 01:50:09 pm »

So, I picked up Axis & Allies 1941 a few years ago. Played it a couple of times, but it's pretty borked. The economy just doesn't work (most countries could never afford to build one battleship, frex), there aren't enough units fighting, so the few die rolls are very swingy (if you get a few bad rolls, you're done for) and the amount of plastic units was on the low side.

However, my local Target has it on sale right now for $15 so I picked up a second copy. Now there is enough plastic and I figure I can fix the other stuff. My plan is to start by lowering the build cost so players can build a reasonable number of reinforcements. Maybe even have country specific build costs (so Russia gets infantry cheaper than others, Germany has cheaper tanks, Japan has cheaper fighters -- I'm still pondering US and UK).

Now, instead of wasting $30 on the first set, I may end up wasting $45 total, but at least this way, I'll get some fun out of it for a bit.
Report Spam   Logged

Meh.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

kira1y

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 02:37:41 pm »

I don't know that I've ever bothered tweaking games that I thought were broken. I have so many other options I just don't waste my time with them. Not much for tinkering with stuff I suppose...
Report Spam   Logged
Calandale
Mockingbird
Wyrd
Forum Malcontent

I mock you

View Profile WWW
Search 500 Posts Karma Bad
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 03:22:14 pm »

The games that most interest me are usually quite broken, and need a lot of tweaking.
Report Spam   Logged
sparty
I can't wait to play that ... someday...
Forum Curious

View Profile
Karma Bad Level 4 50 Posts
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 07:44:33 pm »

I thought these were supposedly re-tweaked from the old GameMaster series which had predictable winning strategy for Axis players that could effectively knock Russia out in 3 turns with decent consistency.  This makes it sound like perhaps the fix went too far the other way?

Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: