The Game Box
March 28, 2024, 09:59:34 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The new site is Running.
This one is closed.

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Baseball Games

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Baseball Games  (Read 1981 times)
severn8212
n00b

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Level 1 First Post Windows User
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2014, 05:58:35 pm »

Strat is my fav...used to play Statis Pro Baseball (card driven, no dice) by AH

Bill
Baltimore MD
Report Spam   Logged
Calandale
Mockingbird
Wyrd
Forum Malcontent

I mock you

View Profile WWW
Search 500 Posts Karma Bad
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2014, 06:27:13 pm »

Statis Pro feels like a Strat clone too though, even with the cards.
Just another way of generating the random numbers.

My biggie was longball - another clone. Mainly because I got it first, and loved the one year I had
(probably the only one that came out).
Report Spam   Logged
baczyz
Forum Curious

View Profile
10 Posts Level 2 Combination
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2014, 11:24:16 pm »

I'm mostly into the old timers in it, so it's fine to play older versions for me.

I like to start in 1901 and see what happens....

Very rarely do I try a modern game.

Report Spam   Logged
Calandale
Mockingbird
Wyrd
Forum Malcontent

I mock you

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2014, 11:26:41 pm »

The game used to have a flaw where pitchers became unhittable for a few decades.
I don't know if they've fixed that in the recent version. It was kinda neat to watch
though - I'd imagine that they were using psychic powers to make the ball jump around.
Report Spam   Logged
The Great Kha
Forum Curious

View Profile
10 Posts Topic Starter Level 3
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2014, 01:23:23 am »

A neat thing in Out of the Park Baseball is random debut where you start in any year you want and every year it introduces players from every point in baseball's history. You can start with an inaugural draft too, so you can have Babe Ruth, Nolan Ryan, and Mike Trout on the same team going against Derek Jeter, Mickey Mantle, and Honus Wagner. It can be quite amusing.
Report Spam   Logged

Fuck the Dodgers, BAET LA.
Rockhopper
Kevin
Forum Malcontent

View Profile
100 Posts Level 4 Topic Starter
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2014, 11:45:47 am »

A neat thing in Out of the Park Baseball is random debut where you start in any year you want and every year it introduces players from every point in baseball's history. You can start with an inaugural draft too, so you can have Babe Ruth, Nolan Ryan, and Mike Trout on the same team going against Derek Jeter, Mickey Mantle, and Honus Wagner. It can be quite amusing.

This is indeed a great way to play. The game will automatically introduce expansion teams, league realignments, team moves and changes, financial changes, everything. I had a blast starting a league in 1901 once, I think I played until 1918 or something like that.
Report Spam   Logged
The Great Kha
Forum Curious

View Profile
10 Posts Topic Starter Level 3
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2014, 12:03:07 am »

Note you can get last year's version of OOTP for whatever you wish to pay right now:

https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly
Report Spam   Logged

Fuck the Dodgers, BAET LA.
Rockhopper
Kevin
Forum Malcontent

View Profile
100 Posts Level 4 Topic Starter
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2014, 10:00:25 am »

Note you can get last year's version of OOTP for whatever you wish to pay right now:

https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly

Cool, thanks for heads-up.
Report Spam   Logged
sparty
I can't wait to play that ... someday...
Forum Curious

View Profile
Karma Bad Level 4 50 Posts
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2014, 02:56:53 pm »

OOTP allows you to play any season with the real players which is a huge boon.
Report Spam   Logged
Calandale
Mockingbird
Wyrd
Forum Malcontent

I mock you

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2014, 02:59:12 pm »

How's the trading AI?

Baseball Mogul's was **** in the olden days, but it's gotten fairly reasonable.

I'm using '12 though, and the AI GMs seem unable to manage their money terribly well.

It also pisses me off that the modern free agency is in place from the beginning.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 10:35:46 am by Calandale » Report Spam   Logged
desertfoxleo
Leo Z from BGG
Forum Curious

View Profile
Poll Voter Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2014, 01:00:59 pm »

For the PC, I love Baseball Mogul - played a number of seasons, and might pick it up again.

For boardgaming, my favorite was Statis Pro - I liked some of the random event things that could happen, like a game called because of a severe weather warning (might have actually said "tornado warning", but I'd have to check). I also had the Statis Pro basketball game, and played that quite a bit, back in the day (late 70's, early 80's). I also have SI's Baseball game, which had team charts somewhat like their football game, Paydirt. I liked it, but Statis Pro is better. I was certainly aware of Stratomatic, but I just never pulled the trigger on it - I probably should have, as I'm sure I would have loved it. In general, back then, I liked sports games at least as much as wargames. These days, I don't play them as much, but if someone were willing, I'd still sit down to one.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 07:22:06 pm by desertfoxleo » Report Spam   Logged
S Trauth
Forum Curious

View Profile WWW
Karma Bad 10 Posts Level 3
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2014, 04:52:02 pm »

The one I played most was AH's Statis-Pro Baseball - I think I had the 1983 and 1984 seasons (possibly the 1985 one - not sure). I was a frustrated Cubs' fan at the time. I think my brother and one of his friends had Strat-o-matic -it was I guess sort of a clone of SoM - but one thing that Statis-Pro did, was (iirc) not use dice.

Not part of the thread- but I spent most of my sports gaming (SoM in particular) with their hockey game -which I imagine is pretty similar in mechanics.
Report Spam   Logged
NthPower
Still Alive
Forum Curious

View Profile
Level 3 10 Posts Poll Voter
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2014, 03:18:33 am »

I used to play tons of Pursue the Pennant back in early/mid 90s.  We used to draft teams and have tournaments.  We would keep stats of all our players and post leaderboards.  Good times.
I think we stopped shortly after it became Dynasty League Baseball.

I've enjoyed Replay baseball on the PC, although never delved too deeply into it.  Mostly just played some quick series or pick up games.
I've been tempted to pick up a new version of OOTP.  I haven't really played it since version 8 or 9. 
Report Spam   Logged
Carl Marl
Forum Curious

View Profile
Level 4 Karma Bad Poll Starter
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2014, 07:42:37 am »

When I lived in Madison, Wisconsin, the group I gamed with set up a league with Statis Pro Baseball and we drafted our own teams. Each player had a card so you could do that. Everybody had their own style in playing the games. One guy had a lineup full of base stealers and would run at every opportunity. Another loved to hit and run all the time. I loaded my lineup with power hitters and high on base percentage guys and waited for big innings. My team won my division but lost the championship, by the way.

The way we did the draft was all the players were sorted by position into piles and you would blindly draw a player by position. When that was over you could trade players before league play actually started. We didn't have budgets or anything like that.

It was fun but we only did it the one time, except there was a Statis Pro football league too.
Report Spam   Logged

I work for cats
sparty
I can't wait to play that ... someday...
Forum Curious

View Profile
Karma Bad Level 4 50 Posts
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2014, 07:32:04 pm »

How's the trading AI?

Baseball Mogul's was **** in the olden days, but it's gotten fairly reasonable.

It's quite good. 

What's kind of cool as well is that players have ratings for their mood which can affect the team and trade conditions.  It can affect their willingness to take an early contract extension.  Playing time can affect their mood as can salaries and benefits.

The financial model within OOTP is probably the most detailed and dynamic I've ever seen. 

You can snag a pitcher who gets a base salary of $1,500,000 per year for a 5 year deal and then structure the incentive packages for things like 100 K's in a season gets you another $500,000 and winning the Cy Young is another $250,000 and so on for various longevity/health and stat categories.  Ultimately, building you a lot of salary / compensation flexibility into the FA negotiation market.  It's a lot of fun to play with it.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: