The Game Box
March 28, 2024, 03:30:40 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The new site is Running.
This one is closed.

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Too much for you?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Too much for you?  (Read 2722 times)
drep
n00b

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Level 2 Karma Karma Good
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2014, 03:07:40 pm »

I had this problem with rules in general when I got back into wargaming.  I remember it most vividly when I got Virgin Queen, which was one of the first games I got in my initial foray back into wargaming.  For some reason, the rules just did not make sense to me.  It was like I was reading them in a foreign language.  I thought "what's wrong with me? This shouldn't be this difficult."  So I set them aside to come back to. And I had other issues with working my way through wargame rules - so it was pretty slow at first.  But then I forced myself to sit down and learn 1914: Twilight in the East - it was going to be a do or die deal, and it ended up working.  That helped me kind of form a system of working through the rules for complex games.  Since then, I haven't had any issues with not being able to work out rules.  Even went back to the Virgin Queen rules and thought "why did I find these so difficult?  This doesn't seem too difficult at all!"

I had the same experience.  Came back to wargaming after 20 years with Here I Stand, SPQR and Lock n' Load Heroes of the Gap. Like you said, it was like another language. I kept bouncing from rulebook to rulebook befuddled at my inability for things to click. SPQR finally cracked after treating it like a textbook and taking notes. It was frustrating at the time, but in hindsight I was able to appreciate how much rules had evolved since my Avalon Hill days.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: