The Game Box
March 19, 2024, 04:36:39 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The new site is Running.
This one is closed.

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Too much for you?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Too much for you?  (Read 2708 times)
Calandale
Mockingbird
Wyrd
Forum Malcontent

I mock you

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
Search 500 Posts Karma Bad
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2014, 05:36:08 pm »

ASL kicked my ass. Multiple times. I joined the SoCal ASL group and tried for a year to learn the game, but it was just too much.

But ASLSK is perfect, so there's that.

I liked ASL Red Barricades. I really couldn't get the point with the little scenarios.
Didn't get playing a lot of ship vs. ship in SFB either.
Report Spam   Logged
anarchy
Passive Aggressive Gamer
Forum Malcontent

View Profile WWW
Level 5 100 Posts Signature
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2014, 05:50:01 pm »

I liked ASL Red Barricades. I really couldn't get the point with the little scenarios.
I'm kind of itching to get Decision at Elst a try, but I'm not quite there yet.

I do not understand tournament SFB play. At all. For that matter, I don't understand one ship vs. one ship in SFB. Or any spaceship combat game. Of which I've played a bunch. 1-on-1 duels aren't that interesting to me. Fleet combat is far superior. When I was young and had time, we used to play 4-5 player SFB battles with 2-3 ships per player. Was good times.

I don't think I would have that patience to play that way again, however. Federation Commander is more my speed these days. Or something even faster.
Report Spam   Logged

Meh.
ekted
n00b

View Profile
Karma Combination Level 2
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2014, 05:53:35 pm »

I was particularly disappointed with the GBoH rules. I was excited about the system at first, and I think there's a lot of fun in there. But I don't think Berg can explain how his games are supposed to work, and I don't think I can tolerate the level of effort required to squeeze out the information. Every time I've tried, I simply get pushback from fanboys as if to say, "How dare you question Berg!"
Report Spam   Logged
Calandale
Mockingbird
Wyrd
Forum Malcontent

I mock you

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2014, 06:00:34 pm »

I'm kind of itching to get Decision at Elst a try, but I'm not quite there yet.

I do not understand tournament SFB play. At all. For that matter, I don't understand one ship vs. one ship in SFB. Or any spaceship combat game. Of which I've played a bunch. 1-on-1 duels aren't that interesting to me. Fleet combat is far superior. When I was young and had time, we used to play 4-5 player SFB battles with 2-3 ships per player. Was good times.

I don't think I would have that patience to play that way again, however. Federation Commander is more my speed these days. Or something even faster.

Yeah. I did most of mine solo - but a decent number of two-player campaigns. That was where it was
for me - playing out the Fed & Emp battles. I like the level of detail SFB gave, but wish it was
more believable. Formalizing something like it for Traveller combat (using Fifth Frontier War or Imperium
as the campaign) would be a great goal for me.
Report Spam   Logged
Calandale
Mockingbird
Wyrd
Forum Malcontent

I mock you

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2014, 06:02:25 pm »

I was particularly disappointed with the GBoH rules. I was excited about the system at first, and I think there's a lot of fun in there. But I don't think Berg can explain how his games are supposed to work, and I don't think I can tolerate the level of effort required to squeeze out the information. Every time I've tried, I simply get pushback from fanboys as if to say, "How dare you question Berg!"

How DARE you question Berg?

I don't think he's terribly good at getting the details right in much of anything actually.
BUT, I like the level of detail he aims for in GBoH. That's good enough for me.
Report Spam   Logged
capt_s
Forum Malcontent

Fancy Tickled

View Profile
100 Posts Signature Topic Starter
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2014, 06:11:07 pm »

I really want to try BAR. It looks so juicily...difficult.
It's easier to pick up than La Bataille.

Interesting. Maybe I'll start with BAR before LaBat then.

Oh.... so THIS is where the cool kids are hanging out now .... Why do I feel like the younger brother all the older kids are fleeing from? 

Tongue

Been too many years since I played BAR and I am anxious about getting back into it. Especially since Fontenoy and now Prague have come out somewhat recently.

I hope to play some this autumn, but I said that last autumn to no avail. Sigh.

Game too big? I haven't met it yet, but I purchase carefully. Well .... Empire of the Sun is a little intimidating.
Report Spam   Logged

I should have been a pair of ragged claws   
Scuttling across the floors of silent seas.

- TS Eliot: The Love Song of J Alfred Prufrock.
usrlocal
Magnificent Bastard
Forum Malcontent

Tony Clifton's love child

View Profile
Gallery Linux User Level 5
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2014, 06:19:46 pm »

Oh.... so THIS is where the cool kids are hanging out now .... Why do I feel like the younger brother all the older kids are fleeing from? 

Dude! Your most important decision right now is your avatar choice: farting Captain Scarlet or Brock Samson. The world awaits!
Report Spam   Logged
Calandale
Mockingbird
Wyrd
Forum Malcontent

I mock you

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2014, 06:21:47 pm »

You are absolutely welcome here.

Report Spam   Logged
Trynant
n00b

View Profile
Level 2 Karma Good Karma
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2014, 06:30:35 pm »

The High Frontier second expansion is feeling that way to me (though no wargame).

I'm going to play an HF scenario to catch back up on the core rules to get to where I can tackle it though.

Colonization's biggest annoyance to me is wrapping my head around all the new stacks and tracking where exactly the hell they go. Most of that had to do with the out-of-the-box rulebook being a maze of particulars that had to be cross-referenced with the original rules to see what changed.

The living rules and a few extra markers made the game far less daunting.

EDIT: Well crap I forgot to bother answering the topic's question. Next War: Korea is currently being a real uphill struggle, mostly because of the amount of printouts of errata and living rules it's demanding. It's also a game I'm having a hard time visualizing the play and compartmentalizing mentally. That SoP goes on forever.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 06:39:41 pm by Trynant » Report Spam   Logged
capt_s
Forum Malcontent

Fancy Tickled

View Profile
100 Posts Signature Topic Starter
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2014, 06:31:23 pm »

Dude! Your most important decision right now is your avatar choice: farting Captain Scarlet or Brock Samson. The world awaits!

I could not load up the pic I wanted, so here is Brock. Who may or may not be farting. Perhaps that is why he is clenching on the knife? Perhaps .... no doubt his farts are like howitzer shots ...

PS - Thanks for the welcome! Happy to join the party. I'll spike the punch.
Report Spam   Logged

I should have been a pair of ragged claws   
Scuttling across the floors of silent seas.

- TS Eliot: The Love Song of J Alfred Prufrock.
kira1y

« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2014, 06:34:36 pm »

I've tried, I simply get pushback from fanboys as if to say, "How dare you question Berg!"
Hell, Berg spends most of his time on CSW saying that very thing. Dude's a pompous ass.
Report Spam   Logged
Calandale
Mockingbird
Wyrd
Forum Malcontent

I mock you

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2014, 06:36:36 pm »

I've tried, I simply get pushback from fanboys as if to say, "How dare you question Berg!"
Hell, Berg spends most of his time on CSW saying that very thing. Dude's a pompous ass.

His personality leaves a LOT to be desired.

Compare him to Herman. It's hard to believe they work together.
Report Spam   Logged
Trynant
n00b

View Profile
Level 2 Karma Good Karma
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2014, 06:44:54 pm »

A friend and I were playing Fighting Formations at a convention where Berg was attending. He walks up to us and looks over the game. He asks something along the lines of "Is this another Nazi-lover game?"

I got the impression that he's snarky, but kind of in an almost endearing way.
Report Spam   Logged
Calandale
Mockingbird
Wyrd
Forum Malcontent

I mock you

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2014, 06:49:14 pm »

A friend and I were playing Fighting Formations at a convention where Berg was attending. He walks up to us and looks over the game. He asks something along the lines of "Is this another Nazi-lover game?"

Meh. I posted some anti obama joke meme, and he defriended me on facebook.
He had no problem with the preponderance of my bleeding heart liberal crap.

People who try and shut out ideas have nothing to recommend them.

If he just didn't want all the political crap, that would be fine. But he made it
quite clear that he just didn't want stuff that worked with his echo chamber.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 06:52:47 pm by Calandale » Report Spam   Logged
anarchy
Passive Aggressive Gamer
Forum Malcontent

View Profile WWW
Level 5 100 Posts Signature
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2014, 06:50:53 pm »

Erm. I'm not sure I would use the word "endearing" with Berg. In any capacity.
Report Spam   Logged

Meh.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: