The Game Box
March 18, 2024, 09:41:21 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The new site is Running.
This one is closed.

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Too much for you?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Too much for you?  (Read 2696 times)
usrlocal
Magnificent Bastard
Forum Malcontent

Tony Clifton's love child

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Gallery Linux User Level 5
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2014, 07:00:06 pm »

I could not load up the pic I wanted, so here is Brock. Who may or may not be farting. Perhaps that is why he is clenching on the knife? Perhaps .... no doubt his farts are like howitzer shots ...

Report Spam   Logged
capt_s
Forum Malcontent

Fancy Tickled

View Profile
100 Posts Signature Topic Starter
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2014, 07:08:22 pm »

I had that album ....

Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

I should have been a pair of ragged claws   
Scuttling across the floors of silent seas.

- TS Eliot: The Love Song of J Alfred Prufrock.
Sluggonics
Fancy Lad
Forum Malcontent

Tell you what, Smithers- have him beaten to a pulp

View Profile WWW
100 Posts Search Level 5
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2014, 07:09:56 pm »

A friend and I were playing Fighting Formations at a convention where Berg was attending. He walks up to us and looks over the game. He asks something along the lines of "Is this another Nazi-lover game?"

I got the impression that he's snarky, but kind of in an almost endearing way.

Erm. I'm not sure I would use the word "endearing" with Berg. In any capacity.

Yeah, I don't think his snark is really endearing - it's more just cranky old man snarkiness.  That said, he does have a pretty sharp wit, and I enjoy reading the witty tidbits he sneaks into his rules.

As for any games I've bailed on because they were too much for me to handle... I've never bailed on a game for those reasons.  Some games have been really tough to get through, but that's what won't make me quit.  I usually quit games if I'm just not "feeling" the subject, or some other topic captures my attention.  Then I just clean it up and move on to what my heart really wants to play.
Report Spam   Logged

Look out honey, 'cause I'm using technology!
Paul
Forum Curious

View Profile
Karma Bad 10 Posts Level 3
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2014, 11:27:30 pm »

"Home before the Leaves Fall,"  by David Bolt.

We were going to play this on the 100th anniversary of the Marne Campaign, but the 150-odd pages of rules and scenario set-up just crushed us. It took some time before someone was willing to admit they didn't want to play, but when the discussion started everyone agreed pretty quickly (and I think with some relief) that this one would stay on the shelf where it's been for the past 17 years. 
Report Spam   Logged
91Caprice
n00b

View Profile
Level 1 First Post Windows User
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2014, 03:51:34 am »

A World at War by GMT.  I bought the 2013 reprint last year.  I'm not sure about his game.  Perhaps you could attempt a review to help someone like me understand this?
Report Spam   Logged
capt_s
Forum Malcontent

Fancy Tickled

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2014, 07:28:03 am »

Actually, upon reflection, La Bat was a game series that intimidated me in the past. Until I actually played it that is.

Not that it was easy to get into. I poured over the rules and made myself some rule reminders. Like study notes. Then after a complete muck up of a first playing I reread/revised my notes and tried again. Finally, the mechanics all came together at that point. I was playing Quatre Bras at the time.

So I suppose the thought of tackling it did hold me back initially.

What I find for any game these days is that I need to be really into the subject to play it. Much more so when playing solitaire. If not, then any solo effort will dry up on the tale. You know ..... set up .... sit for months ..... pack up. And "being into" is code for reading a good book on the subject at the same time.
Report Spam   Logged

lucasbrooks

« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2014, 12:18:30 pm »

Barbarossa: Crimea. I really wanted to play it. I studied the rules. I sat down to play. And, bam. Nothing made any sense. I tried. Multiple times. And then just threw in the towel. Maybe someday. But not today.
Report Spam   Logged
Sluggonics
Fancy Lad
Forum Malcontent

Tell you what, Smithers- have him beaten to a pulp

View Profile WWW
100 Posts Search Level 5
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2014, 12:46:37 pm »

Barbarossa: Crimea. I really wanted to play it. I studied the rules. I sat down to play. And, bam. Nothing made any sense. I tried. Multiple times. And then just threw in the towel. Maybe someday. But not today.

I had this problem with rules in general when I got back into wargaming.  I remember it most vividly when I got Virgin Queen, which was one of the first games I got in my initial foray back into wargaming.  For some reason, the rules just did not make sense to me.  It was like I was reading them in a foreign language.  I thought "what's wrong with me? This shouldn't be this difficult."  So I set them aside to come back to. And I had other issues with working my way through wargame rules - so it was pretty slow at first.  But then I forced myself to sit down and learn 1914: Twilight in the East - it was going to be a do or die deal, and it ended up working.  That helped me kind of form a system of working through the rules for complex games.  Since then, I haven't had any issues with not being able to work out rules.  Even went back to the Virgin Queen rules and thought "why did I find these so difficult?  This doesn't seem too difficult at all!"
Report Spam   Logged

Look out honey, 'cause I'm using technology!
moujamou
Forum Curious

James

View Profile
10 Posts Level 3 Topic Starter
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2014, 12:52:06 pm »

I was dead keen on OCS for a bit but I haven't been able to concentrate on the rules for any useful length of time. Its probably just laziness though. Might have to just toss it off and play easy games instead.
Report Spam   Logged
Calandale
Mockingbird
Wyrd
Forum Malcontent

I mock you

View Profile WWW
Search 500 Posts Karma Bad
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2014, 01:14:48 pm »

I had this problem with rules in general when I got back into wargaming.  I remember it most vividly when I got Virgin Queen, which was one of the first games I got in my initial foray back into wargaming.  For some reason, the rules just did not make sense to me.  It was like I was reading them in a foreign language.  I thought "what's wrong with me? This shouldn't be this difficult."  So I set them aside to come back to. And I had other issues with working my way through wargame rules - so it was pretty slow at first.  But then I forced myself to sit down and learn 1914: Twilight in the East - it was going to be a do or die deal, and it ended up working.  That helped me kind of form a system of working through the rules for complex games.  Since then, I haven't had any issues with not being able to work out rules.  Even went back to the Virgin Queen rules and thought "why did I find these so difficult?  This doesn't seem too difficult at all!"

Styles of rules changed a lot. It takes effort to learn those new changes.

I'm still not comfortable with a lot of newer sets.
Report Spam   Logged
drep
n00b

View Profile
Level 2 Karma Karma Good
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2014, 03:07:40 pm »

I had the same experience.  Came back to wargaming after 20 years with Here I Stand, SPQR and Lock n' Load Heroes of the Gap. Like you said, it was like another language. I kept bouncing from rulebook to rulebook befuddled at my inability for things to click. SPQR finally cracked after treating it like a textbook and taking notes. It was frustrating at the time, but in hindsight I was able to appreciate how much rules had evolved since my Avalon Hill days.
Report Spam   Logged
KevinR
Professional Rules Lawyer
Forum Curious

View Profile
Search Level 4 Karma Bad
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2014, 03:18:03 pm »

One that just hasn't clicked for me, despite several attempts, is The Kaiser's Pirates.  I've screwed up at least four major rules playing the solitaire mode (the last being the safe passage rule).  I think that I'm just not treating it seriously, thinking "it's just a card game".

It's portable enough that I may take it on vacation and try to cram in a couple games in a day to break through.  Maybe I'll even be able to get within 80% of the programmed opponent...
Report Spam   Logged
capt_s
Forum Malcontent

Fancy Tickled

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2014, 07:30:36 pm »

One that just hasn't clicked for me, despite several attempts, is The Kaiser's Pirates....

That's a tricky situation.

I too have problems reading rules these days. In general that is. It has been an issue for a few years now. However ... once I start to push cardboard and apply the rules they usually gel for me.

If I was still having problems after playing that game I would start to get concerned. I had that issue with Fire in the Sky. It is a nuancy bugger that one.
Report Spam   Logged

Calandale
Mockingbird
Wyrd
Forum Malcontent

I mock you

View Profile WWW
Search 500 Posts Karma Bad
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2014, 08:05:43 pm »

I too have problems reading rules these days. In general that is. It has been an issue for a few years now. However ... once I start to push cardboard and apply the rules they usually gel for me.

Are you having trouble with old-style rules too though? I feel that I can still absorb those fairly well.

It's as though the whole paradigm for how to present has shifted - IMO towards the sloppier in terms of giving a good view of
what is going on. But maybe it's just that every damned game is so different. Tongue
Report Spam   Logged
Eric Brosius
n00b

View Profile
Karma Level 1 First Post
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2014, 08:09:54 pm »

I got the impression that he's snarky, but kind of in an almost endearing way.
Near where I grew up in Philadelphia there was a deli whose schtick was insulting the customers.  A party would come in and the hostess would make some snarky comment and they'd all giggle.  That's how I feel Berg is: he almost thinks that's his main selling point.

I realized not too long ago that other than games I got in magazines, the only Berg designs I own are "Terrible Swift Sword" (1976) and "War of the Ring" (1977).  I had a lot of fun with TSS back in the day.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: