The Game Box
March 29, 2024, 05:51:21 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The new site is Running.
This one is closed.

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Who are you? Why are you here?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who are you? Why are you here?  (Read 4426 times)
Doriath
n00b

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Karma Good Gallery Combination
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2014, 08:01:33 pm »

Hey, I'm Gene, (geneandcourtney on BGG). 37, married, two kids and I do healthcare management and IT. I've always loved games, started with computer games and BASIC programming choose-your-own-adventure type games on a TI 99/4a. I picked up the Metzger Red Box in 3rd grade and my younger brother and I went through a mile of graph paper dungeons, interpersed with GrailQuest and other gamebooks. Didn't get much beyond that, and after bringing D&D to school at the beginningo of 5th grade earned a class meeting where essentially I had to give a presentation on how D&D was more likely to teach their kids math than start some kind of Satanist insurrection, after which D&D stayed at home.

Wasn't too happy there, found out the family with both my best friend and my brother's best friend was moving away, so I bailed and went to a hippie private middle school - http://www.peninsulaschool.org/. I was pretty sure I was going to like it there since on the day I visited I got to play with lasers and dry ice(this was 1988), watched Elephant Parts, and dropped into a 12-player D&D game. Made lifelong friends and got introduced to a bajillion different games and other aspects of geek culture. Within the 1st year I'd played and/or ran games of CP2013, Ninjas & Superspies, Ghostbusters, Paranoia, plus Battletech, SFB, Talisman etc - this school that had a summer school class on RPG and game design in 1989.

Still gamed a lot in high school and college (loved the lan parties, don't miss the unswitched networks over coax), but class, work and girls tapered off my gaming substantially. Got into boardgaming after I got married, but becoming parents in 07 mean my wife and I had other demands on our time, so the I ended up doing more collecting than playing. Hitting that stage in life when a good portion of our friends are also married with small children meant that gaming became more of a special occasion thing than a regular activity. That's changed since my son got old enough to start playing, and now I'm putting that collection to good use, usually getting in a longer game or two a week with him, and the occasional play with my wife and daughter.

Really appreciate the Calandale video series since I'm usually in the position of teaching games, and watching/listening to you go through the rules and puzzle through the gameplay/strategic choices I find both informative and oddly relaxing. I appreciate the rambling too, and sorry that BGG couldn't accommodate varying levels of speech within their forums. Looking forward to this!
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: