The Game Box
March 28, 2024, 09:20:15 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The new site is Running.
This one is closed.

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Who are you? Why are you here?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who are you? Why are you here?  (Read 4407 times)
egg_salad
Forum Curious

Bareass birdness -- look at me!

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Topic Starter Level 3 10 Posts
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2014, 06:52:38 pm »

Long time listener, first time caller.  

Played wargames sporadically in my youth -- GEV was my first in the late 70s / early 80s.

Found the wargames were still a thing a couple of years ago.. and now I have less free time and more money.  So now I need to buy a house for my wargames.

I am not necessarily fed up with BGG, just trying to tag along with the cool kids.  I have a pretty strong idiot filter, though (and usually I will either say nothing or just make a smart aleck comment rather than getting in an argument).

Report Spam   Logged
Calandale
Mockingbird
Wyrd
Forum Malcontent

I mock you

View Profile WWW
Search 500 Posts Karma Bad
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2014, 06:55:05 pm »

I am not necessarily fed up with BGG, just trying to tag along with the cool kids.  I have a pretty strong idiot filter, though (and usually I will either say nothing or just make a smart aleck comment rather than getting in an argument).

Yeah. Arguing is too important to my thought processes. It shakes out important things for me
that I'd never discover on my own.
Report Spam   Logged
egg_salad
Forum Curious

Bareass birdness -- look at me!

View Profile
Topic Starter Level 3 10 Posts
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2014, 07:00:29 pm »

Yeah. Arguing is too important to my thought processes. It shakes out important things for me
that I'd never discover on my own.

Well, I am definitely not going to argue with you about arguing!  I submit!
Report Spam   Logged
jacovis
n00b

View Profile
Apple User Combination Level 2
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2014, 07:16:02 pm »

Nunya Bizness!

Edit: Okay. Because I want to hang with all the cool kids.  Cool
Report Spam   Logged
usrlocal
Magnificent Bastard
Forum Malcontent

Tony Clifton's love child

View Profile
Gallery Linux User Level 5
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2014, 07:17:04 pm »

Nunya Bizness!

We're cool with that! 
Report Spam   Logged
Rockhopper
Kevin
Forum Malcontent

View Profile
100 Posts Level 4 Topic Starter
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2014, 07:26:29 pm »

Hi, I'm Kevin, Rockhopper01 at the Geek. 42, married, two boys, and I'm a Fed.

I started with AD&D about 6th grade. Socially, I played mostly RPG's throughout the 80's, Star Frontiers, Gamma World, Twilight 2000, Traveller, GURPS. Loved Car Wars. I found some SPI/TSR wargames at the mall bookstore, Cobra and Air War were the big ones. I played the heck out of both solo, when I wasn't role playing with pals. My little brother and I made games for toys, like wargame rules for army men, and a pretty detailed racing game for Matchbox cars. I dabbled with some sports simulation rules too.

Joined the Marines, wargaming dropped out. Partied like a sailor for the first five years or so until I got bored and tired of drinking the whole paycheck. Got back into some RPG's, this time Shadowrun, Earthdawn, etc. I also really got into computer gaming in the late 90's, mostly flight sims, Civ 2. Got far too deep into Everquest.

After I got married and had kids, I traded computer games and cigarettes for mountain bikes and broken teeth. I might've had a shot at turning pro, but I was more lucky than any good. I raced for three years up and down California. We went to Germany for three years, and I got (and still am) hooked on pro Euro road cycling. Traded my mountain bikes for road bikes, shaved my legs, and don't crash as much.

Back to Cali, then to Indy. Moving to Indiana with a new job allowed me a bit of extra cash, and for some reason I googled "wargames" on a whim. I found BGG, bought a copy of Afrika II, and I was suddenly back to gaming.
Report Spam   Logged
revmidni
n00b

View Profile
Level 3 Poll Voter Combination
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2014, 07:28:50 pm »

Greeting from Indianapolis.
        Been watching your videos for over a year including the rants(which I enjoy also). I am 46 and father of 4 and granddad of 2. I mainly solo game wargames but my wife will play ACW games.  Looking forward to throw discussions here.
Bryan
Report Spam   Logged
baczyz
Forum Curious

View Profile
10 Posts Level 2 Combination
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2014, 07:35:04 pm »

44? You are just babes in swaddling clothes !
Report Spam   Logged
Calandale
Mockingbird
Wyrd
Forum Malcontent

I mock you

View Profile WWW
Search 500 Posts Karma Bad
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2014, 07:36:30 pm »

44? You are just babes in swaddling clothes !

At LEAST they're dressed.
Report Spam   Logged
Trynant
n00b

View Profile
Level 2 Karma Good Karma
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2014, 07:38:46 pm »

Hi, I'm some random person who only knew about this site because I subscribe to calandale on YouTube.

I'm pretty new to board games outside the realm of mainstream household titles like Monopoly (barring some adolescence with Magic and D&D). I'm in my late twenties, got intrigued by eurogames around 2009; got into wargaming two or three years after that. Common theme with my purchases and general tastes leans towards "more complicated the better," for better or worse  Undecided

I'm here because I find intense, critical discussions of board games enjoyable, and didn't really like neither  BGG's community nor ConSim's format. Seems like this might be a lax environment that can make those discussions, so hey, here I am.
Report Spam   Logged
stemcider
Forum Malcontent

dafuq

View Profile
Level 5 100 Posts Poll Voter
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2014, 07:45:57 pm »

I just wanna be cool.
Report Spam   Logged
kira1y

« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2014, 07:47:44 pm »

At LEAST they're dressed.

Wanna bet?
Report Spam   Logged
KevinR
Professional Rules Lawyer
Forum Curious

View Profile
Search Level 4 Karma Bad
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2014, 07:52:28 pm »

As it says on the tin, I'm Kevin.  Post many places as KevinR, and don't necessarily cotton to the history-only school of wargames (Ogre?).  Primarily a solo gamer, although my four-year-old was ranking minis and sorting ASL counters (by color only) when she was about 2.

I'll buy and try most anything published by GMT and MMP / The Gamers, and have quite a pile of TAHGC, but am probably spending more table time with Victory Point Games these days.  I love a game I can take out to dinner.

Never liked BGG (forums, it's a fine database), so definitely welcomed Calendale's latest rant video.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 08:01:44 pm by KevinR » Report Spam   Logged
Doriath
n00b

View Profile
Karma Good Gallery Combination
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2014, 08:01:33 pm »

Hey, I'm Gene, (geneandcourtney on BGG). 37, married, two kids and I do healthcare management and IT. I've always loved games, started with computer games and BASIC programming choose-your-own-adventure type games on a TI 99/4a. I picked up the Metzger Red Box in 3rd grade and my younger brother and I went through a mile of graph paper dungeons, interpersed with GrailQuest and other gamebooks. Didn't get much beyond that, and after bringing D&D to school at the beginningo of 5th grade earned a class meeting where essentially I had to give a presentation on how D&D was more likely to teach their kids math than start some kind of Satanist insurrection, after which D&D stayed at home.

Wasn't too happy there, found out the family with both my best friend and my brother's best friend was moving away, so I bailed and went to a hippie private middle school - http://www.peninsulaschool.org/. I was pretty sure I was going to like it there since on the day I visited I got to play with lasers and dry ice(this was 1988), watched Elephant Parts, and dropped into a 12-player D&D game. Made lifelong friends and got introduced to a bajillion different games and other aspects of geek culture. Within the 1st year I'd played and/or ran games of CP2013, Ninjas & Superspies, Ghostbusters, Paranoia, plus Battletech, SFB, Talisman etc - this school that had a summer school class on RPG and game design in 1989.

Still gamed a lot in high school and college (loved the lan parties, don't miss the unswitched networks over coax), but class, work and girls tapered off my gaming substantially. Got into boardgaming after I got married, but becoming parents in 07 mean my wife and I had other demands on our time, so the I ended up doing more collecting than playing. Hitting that stage in life when a good portion of our friends are also married with small children meant that gaming became more of a special occasion thing than a regular activity. That's changed since my son got old enough to start playing, and now I'm putting that collection to good use, usually getting in a longer game or two a week with him, and the occasional play with my wife and daughter.

Really appreciate the Calandale video series since I'm usually in the position of teaching games, and watching/listening to you go through the rules and puzzle through the gameplay/strategic choices I find both informative and oddly relaxing. I appreciate the rambling too, and sorry that BGG couldn't accommodate varying levels of speech within their forums. Looking forward to this!
Report Spam   Logged
Cazaril
Forum Curious

View Profile
Level 3 10 Posts Poll Voter
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2014, 08:24:31 pm »

Just subbed.  Long time Calendale watcher and lurker over at BGG due to a variety of reasons.

Thanks Enrico for setting this up!  I look forward to discussions here on gaming and non-gaming subjects.

Me?  I'm 51, married, no kids.  Yep, old system engineer working for a big computer company.  Of course, I like to play all sorts of board games and PC games but I'm starting to move on to the analog world more - like listening to my vacuum tube radio while playing around with cardboard.  My wife also likes to game and challenges me at two player card games like Traders of Carthage and Cribbage.

I started with monopoly, risk (played every day after school for years), and saved up enough money at 15 to buy my first "wargame" - Squad Leader.  A friend and I read the rules over and over and we loved moving the counters around on those great maps.  My next game was Avalon Hill's Submarine.  I wasn't too impressed by the maps (just water) but then again where else to submarines roam.  I then went to college where I was a serious student and didn't game much.  Maybe dabbled into D&D now and then.  Went through a bunch of years not purchasing anything and then discovered Scott Nicholson's videos over at his site (and BGG).  Some those were a hoot.  Been purchasing games ever since but didn't buy too many in 2013 and only a few in 2014.  With 300, I have a back log to get through!

//Rant on
BGG can eat it if you ask me.  Totally agree with you on the damn red "x" feature.  But to ban you for using the FANBOI word?  What the ****?  Totally uncalled for and I get angry just thinking about it.  The only thing I like is some of the good things they do with the charity events.  I like helping people out - although you have to be careful with the online shysters.

Enough of that.  //Rant off

Thanks again for the site!  You did the right thing.

-Caz

Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: