The Game Box
April 20, 2024, 07:46:33 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The new site is Running.
This one is closed.

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Ideas For The Site

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ideas For The Site  (Read 450 times)
pnpfanatic
Now 100% PnP
Forum Malcontent

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
100 Posts Level 4 Karma Bad
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2014, 10:33:10 pm »

Just having a one-stop would be great instead of having 10 browsers open to keep track of everything...just sayin'

I know - but this place is never going to be a big site. If people really want special sections for those kinds of
sections - I'm good with it (like if you only want to game with folk on here).

Hell, put up a poll, see if people want it. Subfora aren't expensive in terms of real-estate on SMF.

Hey! I'm still trying to learn the embed video bit...hang on with your fancy big city polls buddy! Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
Calandale
Mockingbird
Wyrd
Forum Malcontent

I mock you

View Profile WWW
Search 500 Posts Karma Bad
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2014, 11:08:34 pm »

Polls are easy - you just start a thread as a poll from the forum level.
you can't do it from within a thread, AFAIK.
Report Spam   Logged
Pete
n00b

View Profile
Poll Voter Combination Level 2
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2014, 06:45:49 pm »

Here's a few ideas .... forgive me if they read as a "dumping ground for non-BGG things," but obviously duplication (even if it's cleaner and better) of the features of a huge database is less than ideal ...

1. Reviews categorized by experience (after 1 play, after 5 plays, etc.) might be interesting. Many BGG reviews, especially critical ones, after based on a single gameplay experience. I'd like to know whether someone was done with a game after several plays, or likes the game but found something more engaging on the same topic, etc. Reviews that are text versions of unboxing videos can be categorized separately.

2. Game categories with representative titles, in a similar vein as those nap10 geeklists, only decided by a poll. It would be interesting if say, Eclipse, won over enough users to displace Amoeba Wars as a top-4 space conquest game.

3. A searchable website. Which seems to be the case here.

Report Spam   Logged
Calandale
Mockingbird
Wyrd
Forum Malcontent

I mock you

View Profile WWW
Search 500 Posts Karma Bad
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2014, 07:00:41 pm »

SMF is pretty good at search. This site can't handle a lot of traffic though, I'd guess.
It's never going to be a BGG replacement. Too, once the forum gets full enough, search
starts getting painful. There are some tools to improve performance in most cases,
but if you're digging deep, it's going to be slower.

I wish to hell I could do the listing type functionality here easily. Sadly though, that's special sauce
for BGG. I'd need to host this for real, and build a mod to do that right. The fact that BGG is so damned
useful for auctions and game related lists is why I must stop posting to the fora there. I can't afford
a permaban.

BGG could actually DO the polled lists. All they'd need is to allow GLs to be ordered by number of thumbs -
something many people have asked for. Sad
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: