The Game Box
March 28, 2024, 07:40:31 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The new site is Running.
This one is closed.

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Euro Games

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Euro Games  (Read 611 times)
Osprey
n00b

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Karma Good Combination Level 2
« on: July 14, 2014, 08:54:29 pm »

Should there be a Euro Game forum?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Calandale
Mockingbird
Wyrd
Forum Malcontent

I mock you

View Profile WWW
Search 500 Posts Karma Bad
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 09:10:28 pm »

I thought hard about this. If there are euros, then there would have to be wargames, AT, family games,
yadda yadda. It probably fits actual usage better though - in that there are segments of the hobby.
Many euros are economic in nature though. Ones that aren't Pandemic, Flashpoint, ect, cause some
real issues for categorization. I'd guess that most euro players are open to sharing space with
other games on the same general topic rather than trying to categorize by some sort of hobby-based
criteria that we'll never get right though (which isn't to say topic is always going to be easy).

The big question for me was whether to organize by these general themes (war, economics, politics, sports)
or to do so as I'm naturally inclined - chronologically by subject. I figured THAT would really not work well
for many people.
Report Spam   Logged
Osprey
n00b

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 09:19:06 pm »

I thought hard about this. If there are euros, then there would have to be wargames, AT, family games,
yadda yadda. It probably fits actual usage better though - in that there are segments of the hobby.
Many euros are economic in nature though. Ones that aren't Pandemic, Flashpoint, ect, cause some
real issues for categorization. I'd guess that most euro players are open to sharing space with
other games on the same general topic rather than trying to categorize by some sort of hobby-based
criteria that we'll never get right though (which isn't to say topic is always going to be easy).

The big question for me was whether to organize by these general themes (war, economics, politics, sports)
or to do so as I'm naturally inclined - chronologically by subject. I figured THAT would really not work well
for many people.

Then I DO have to ask in all seriousness, even though I'm laughing about it as I type.......Where would Twilight Struggle topics be posted? God...I hated having to ask this question....not that I'm going to ask/write anything about it anytime soon.
Report Spam   Logged
Rockhopper
Kevin
Forum Malcontent

View Profile
100 Posts Level 4 Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 09:53:01 pm »

for many people.

Then I DO have to ask in all seriousness, even though I'm laughing about it as I type.......Where would Twilight Struggle topics be posted? God...I hated having to ask this question....not that I'm going to ask/write anything about it anytime soon.

GRENADE!!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Calandale
Mockingbird
Wyrd
Forum Malcontent

I mock you

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 10:05:43 pm »

for many people.

Topic ain't easy there. It's definitely not how I've defined politics though. What it really should
have is a geopolitical section. I guess it's 'other'? Wouldn't be too upset to see it squat in
military though. Or political.
Report Spam   Logged
Osprey
n00b

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 10:12:28 pm »

Ok, and I think that's the best answer. Post wherever you see fit. No need to turn into another BGG. I kinda like your site here. Good idea and thanks.
Report Spam   Logged
Calandale
Mockingbird
Wyrd
Forum Malcontent

I mock you

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 10:16:49 pm »

Ok, and I think that's the best answer. Post wherever you see fit.

Pretty much. Unless people really want it, I'm not going to be moving stuff around.

If an OP wants something moved though, I'll do that for them. It's easy to
accidentally post into a forum you didn't intend to.
Report Spam   Logged
LuckyDiceRolls
Forum Curious

View Profile
Gallery Level 4 50 Posts
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2014, 09:59:48 am »

sorry to display my ignorance once again
but what IS a 'euro-game'?
I know they come from Europe but what do they have in common?
are there certain themes to euro-games?
Report Spam   Logged

Always be nice to animals
Animals have feelings just like we do
anarchy
Passive Aggressive Gamer
Forum Malcontent

View Profile WWW
Level 5 100 Posts Signature
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2014, 10:33:55 am »

sorry to display my ignorance once again
but what IS a 'euro-game'?
I know they come from Europe but what do they have in common?
are there certain themes to euro-games?

A German-style board game, also referred to as a German game, Euro game or Euro-style game, is any of a class of tabletop games that generally have simple rules, short to medium playing times, indirect player interaction, and abstract physical components. Such games emphasize strategy, downplay luck and conflict, lean towards economic rather than military themes, and usually keep all the players in the game until it ends. German-style games are sometimes contrasted with American-style games, which generally involve more luck, conflict, and drama.

German-style games are usually less abstract than chess, but more abstract than wargames and train games. Likewise, they generally require more thought and planning than party games, such as Pictionary or Trivial Pursuit, but less than classic strategy games, such as chess and Go.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German-style_board_game
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 10:35:42 am by anarchy » Report Spam   Logged

Meh.
Calandale
Mockingbird
Wyrd
Forum Malcontent

I mock you

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2014, 11:07:24 am »

The term's become very polluted though (or moved about a lot). Once, euros were a lot closer to
family-style games. Now, they've become their own little niche, the heavy end of which is
fairly inaccessible to new gamers.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: