The Game Box
March 28, 2024, 04:48:00 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The new site is Running.
This one is closed.

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Freedom: The Underground Railroad

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Freedom: The Underground Railroad  (Read 657 times)
Osprey
n00b

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Karma Good Combination Level 2
« on: July 14, 2014, 09:00:36 pm »

Recently, I wanted to introduce my girlfriend to boardgaming. She had seen my games and expressed interest in learning some. She saw Freedom: The Underground Railroad by Academy games that I had purchased and wanted to play that one due to the theme. I also was interested due to the good feedback I had been reading about it and the originality of the theme. We both loved it. Very neat and clever design. The best part was the fact that she did love the game and now wants to learn some others. I will eventually work her way up to a wargame and hope that catches on. I'm bringing her to the WBC with me and I'm trying to convince her to enter a tournament....ANY tournament. She seems excited about it and that makes me happy. Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Sluggonics
Fancy Lad
Forum Malcontent

Tell you what, Smithers- have him beaten to a pulp

View Profile WWW
100 Posts Search Level 5
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 09:45:43 am »

Academy Games puts out some nice products.  I haven't tried Freedom yet - but I saw it being demo'd at the Academy Games booth at Gen Con last year.  I picked up The New Science at their booth because I liked the subject - even though it's just a themed cube-pusher.  My wife and I enjoyed it.  She tends to enjoy the thematic games of that nature most, although I have gotten her to play Commands & Colors: Ancients and Napoleonics with me.
Report Spam   Logged

Look out honey, 'cause I'm using technology!
stemcider
Forum Malcontent

dafuq

View Profile
Level 5 100 Posts Poll Voter
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 04:23:42 pm »

Freedom is a great game. My favorite cooperative game by a large margin.

My big gripe with it is the lack of serious historical notes. I feel like the subject deserves it.
Report Spam   Logged
Kreator82
Husband, Son, Uncle, Gamer....I do it all.
Forum Curious

View Profile
Topic Starter Karma Good Level 3
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 08:42:48 pm »

I have yet to get my hands on Freedom, but I have heard great things about it. Does it keep you engaged during other players turns, or can you get, come back, and just play your turn? I find some co-ops aren't that investing for the players during other peoples turns.
Report Spam   Logged

Real men play board games
Osprey
n00b

View Profile
Karma Good Combination Level 2
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 06:31:58 am »

I've only played two 2-player games and we lost both times by a hair. That was also on the easier of the two complexity levels the game offers. It's my experience that the players need to discuss what to do on everyone's turn for the most part. You really do need to work together or you'll lose. So, in answer to your question about getting up and leaving and then coming back for your turn, unless you have the game well in hand I don't think it's a good idea. It doesn't take long to do a player turn.
Report Spam   Logged
The Grinch
WB PITA
Forum Curious

Soylent Green™ is made out of sheeple!

View Profile
Level 4 Signature 50 Posts
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 11:07:12 am »

I've been wanting to try that one.  Academy Games makes good stuff.
Report Spam   Logged

Ba-a-a-ah!
Sluggonics
Fancy Lad
Forum Malcontent

Tell you what, Smithers- have him beaten to a pulp

View Profile WWW
100 Posts Search Level 5
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 11:42:12 am »

My big gripe with it is the lack of serious historical notes. I feel like the subject deserves it.

Yeah, that's definitely a subject worthy of some comment by the designer.  Plus, I like historical notes.
Report Spam   Logged

Look out honey, 'cause I'm using technology!
Kreator82
Husband, Son, Uncle, Gamer....I do it all.
Forum Curious

View Profile
Topic Starter Karma Good Level 3
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 05:06:52 pm »

I've only played two 2-player games and we lost both times by a hair. That was also on the easier of the two complexity levels the game offers. It's my experience that the players need to discuss what to do on everyone's turn for the most part. You really do need to work together or you'll lose. So, in answer to your question about getting up and leaving and then coming back for your turn, unless you have the game well in hand I don't think it's a good idea. It doesn't take long to do a player turn.

That's cool. I have been interested in this one, and knowing that you really need to work together makes me want to pick thi sone up even more.
Report Spam   Logged

Real men play board games
stemcider
Forum Malcontent

dafuq

View Profile
Level 5 100 Posts Poll Voter
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2014, 03:51:40 pm »

Yeah, that's definitely a subject worthy of some comment by the designer.  Plus, I like historical notes.

I LOVE historical notes. Nothing helps me get a game to the table like some good historical notes.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: