The Game Box
March 28, 2024, 11:27:05 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The new site is Running.
This one is closed.

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Hatin' on BGG

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hatin' on BGG  (Read 1427 times)
Calandale
Mockingbird
Wyrd
Forum Malcontent

I mock you

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
Search 500 Posts Karma Bad
« on: July 14, 2014, 09:00:49 pm »

Okay look, BGG is an outstanding resource. The DB, geekslists, marketplace,  auctions, and all that are really wonderful
(well - geekslists got pretty heavily damaged with the recent changes).

All the same, as a forum it has some serious issues. The red-x's; y'all know how much
relying on that kind of tattling behavior pisses me off. Worse, it's just lazy when something
like 'fanboi' is perfectly fine in most circumstances, until some large group (no one person was
referenced in any way) decides they don't like being called that collectively.

Having to pay for your damned avvie. Come on. The avatar is an important part of your
forum presence. Same goes for the badge. Microbadges? Those are cool because you're
paying someone who made it for you. Not real 'money' you say? People sell GG on auctions.
People buy it direct from the site. Sure, someone will be kind enough to donate if you beg -
but it's just bullshit.

That it's a business. This is the root of a lot of it. The money grubbing of the GG,
and even more, not wanting things to have a chance of degenerating (but not willing
to actually monitor the site directly). At heart, to me, anything done as a business
really gets ruined by that simple fact. The best that can be done is to hide from
the reality of it; to pretend that it all means something more than some bucks in
someone's pocket. Yeah, I know in this world that's what has to be; but when it
rears its head blatantly, it just sucks.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

usrlocal
Magnificent Bastard
Forum Malcontent

Tony Clifton's love child

View Profile
Gallery Linux User Level 5
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 09:11:39 pm »

BGG has some sort of instant gratification thing that gets addictive. I blame the thumbs and the GG!   Grin

But, as of late, the Wargames General forum getting tedious. I think AWOL is still ok, but that's just because it's mostly ignored by those whose opinions don't matter to me.   Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged
Rockhopper
Kevin
Forum Malcontent

View Profile
100 Posts Level 4 Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 09:22:42 pm »

We've become a society of the Offended. Offending someone is quickly becoming the worst sin anyone can do. Somehow, making someone feel bad is akin to murder.

Donald Sterling tells his **** home wrecker in a private phone call not to hang out with black folks. All hell breaks loose, with people using adjectives that used to be reserved for things like, oh I don't know, child **** and genocide.

"Absolutely disgusting!"
"Reprehensible!"
"Staggeringly criminal behavior!"

Atheists get bent out of shape if someone prays at a town meeting, and Christians freak out and make themselves into God when someone curses nearby.

My Redskins will fold soon enough. The Braves, Indians, Seminoles, Blackhawks, will follow.

Tolerance! Stupid Coexist bumper stickers! Yeah.

The Mighty Red-X rules all.

I'm gonna go flip over a Prius, be right back.
Report Spam   Logged
usrlocal
Magnificent Bastard
Forum Malcontent

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 09:51:49 pm »

I think the problem is that these days it's very easy to shut off or tune out anyone who offends you. We're therefore losing the ability to mediate confrontations with each other. Everything escalates instead. Road rage is a perfect example. Everyone is in their little car bubble, and if someone does something to **** off another driver, everyone gets all operatic about it. It's kinda weird and disturbing at the same time.
Report Spam   Logged
egg_salad
Forum Curious

Bareass birdness -- look at me!

View Profile
Topic Starter Level 3 10 Posts
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 09:52:56 pm »

We've become a society of the Offended. Offending someone is quickly becoming the worst sin anyone can do. Somehow, making someone feel bad is akin to murder.

Donald Sterling tells his **** home wrecker in a private phone call not to hang out with black folks. All hell breaks loose, with people using adjectives that used to be reserved for things like, oh I don't know, child **** and genocide.

"Absolutely disgusting!"
"Reprehensible!"
"Staggeringly criminal behavior!"

Atheists get bent out of shape if someone prays at a town meeting, and Christians freak out and make themselves into God when someone curses nearby.

My Redskins will fold soon enough. The Braves, Indians, Seminoles, Blackhawks, will follow.

Tolerance! Stupid Coexist bumper stickers! Yeah.

The Mighty Red-X rules all.

I'm gonna go flip over a Prius, be right back.

This offends me. 

Not really, just going for 10 posts.
Report Spam   Logged
Calandale
Mockingbird
Wyrd
Forum Malcontent

I mock you

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 09:53:35 pm »

But somehow it's fine to offend people by telling them they can't speak?  Undecided

It's especially disturbing to me given the apparent context there. I mean, I
really think she was free to fuck whom she chose within their relationship,
but was rubbing it in his face or something.

Report Spam   Logged
anarchy
Passive Aggressive Gamer
Forum Malcontent

View Profile WWW
Level 5 100 Posts Signature
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 09:59:02 pm »

The proper solution to speech that you dislike is to ignore it or counter it with more speech. It takes way too much energy to get offended and go running around screaming at the world.
Report Spam   Logged

Meh.
kira1y

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 10:00:54 pm »

Atheists get bent out of shape if someone prays at a town meeting.
I just roll out a prayer mat towards Mecca during Jesus time, seems to get the point across. Of course I'm a fun atheist.  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
usrlocal
Magnificent Bastard
Forum Malcontent

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 10:07:06 pm »

I just roll out a prayer mat towards Mecca during Jesus time, seems to get the point across. Of course I'm a fun atheist.  Grin

So you got Friday and Sunday covered then. On Saturday might I suggest muttering at a wall?
Report Spam   Logged
Calandale
Mockingbird
Wyrd
Forum Malcontent

I mock you

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2014, 10:08:04 pm »

What I hate is when I get drunk and try to have sex with anything that moves,
and people get upset with me for worshiping Bacchus.

I've learned to stop starting official meetings that way.
Report Spam   Logged
usrlocal
Magnificent Bastard
Forum Malcontent

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2014, 10:09:30 pm »

What I hate is when I get drunk and try to have sex with anything that moves,
and people get upset with me for worshiping Bacchus.

They're just upset at your sloppy technique.
Report Spam   Logged
Calandale
Mockingbird
Wyrd
Forum Malcontent

I mock you

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2014, 10:17:43 pm »

I didn't think it was important to stand on formalities on the farm. Sad
Report Spam   Logged
Doriath
n00b

View Profile
Karma Good Gallery Combination
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2014, 01:17:12 am »

My two cents on this issue - Sterling is the homewrecker (the responsibility for maintaining a marriage falls solely on those actually in it), and he has a long history of being a slumlord and making much worse racist comments about his tenants, and then intentionally failing to provide the basic services he was contractually obligated to as the landlord. On top of that, he failed in his contractual obligations as a NBA owner not to make the NBA look bad to the point of cutting into their profits, which he failed at. His free speech is fine, the government didn't step in to say he couldn't say racist things and throw him in jail; the company he was a part of didn't want his actions damaging their profits, and so they cut him out and paid him a boatload of cash. People are free to criticize the NBA's decisions and choose to watch other sports where Donald Sterling could still participate. Yay America.

I'd say his behavior was accurately characterized as reprehensible and disgusting - as far as criminal that phone call itself didn't reveal anything AFAIK.

Report Spam   Logged
Calandale
Mockingbird
Wyrd
Forum Malcontent

I mock you

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2014, 01:45:29 am »

...and he has a long history of being a slumlord and making much worse racist comments about his tenants, and then intentionally failing to provide the basic services he was contractually obligated to as the landlord. ....

This is the part that I dislike the most. But, it's the phone call which caused the actions.

That's just bs. As a society, we should worry about what has real effects.
Report Spam   Logged
Rockhopper
Kevin
Forum Malcontent

View Profile
100 Posts Level 4 Topic Starter
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2014, 06:35:44 am »

I'd say his behavior was accurately characterized as reprehensible and disgusting...

Oh he has no class, I agree with that. I was just pointing out the ludicrousness of the media and various Offended Parties using extreme terms that left little room for truly disgusting things.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: