The Game Box
March 19, 2024, 05:08:24 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The new site is Running.
This one is closed.

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

If you love a topic...

Poll
Question: are you more tolerant of flaws in the design?
Yes - 12 (54.5%)
No - 6 (27.3%)
About the Same - 4 (18.2%)
Total Voters: 20

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: If you love a topic...  (Read 661 times)
Calandale
Mockingbird
Wyrd
Forum Malcontent

I mock you

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
Search 500 Posts Karma Bad
« on: July 09, 2014, 01:43:34 am »

I find myself willing to overlook issues of mechanical complexity, ambiguous or broken rules, balance,
and a whole host of other things in games for eras that I really love. However, I know a local guy
who adores WWI, but basically is unwilling to play any games on the subject - because they all
'get it wrong'. Where do you fall?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

sparty
I can't wait to play that ... someday...
Forum Curious

View Profile
Karma Bad Level 4 50 Posts
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 06:23:58 am »

It depends on where things are screwy.  Again, it's all a matter of perspective, but for me games on Age of Sail are really tricky.  I enjoy fleet sized engagements so I'm willing to overlook the odd fixed movement patterns in Flying Colors because the bumper boats style of play encouraged by WSIM just gets on my nerve.  I don't necessarily want to be in the rigging so to speak with Close Action either because it's too cumbersome to manage many ships.  I have Fighting Sail that I'm hoping to give it a go and see how that works because I like the idea that ship facing isn't neatly arranged with hexes.  I sold Sails of Glory because it felt nothing like ships fighting in the age of sail.  It could have been anything at all that Sails of Glory was trying to simulate.

All that said ... I think there's something useful to take away from each of the games ... even Sails of Glory.  My hope is that someday I won't be so lazy and I'll just pick and choose the mechanics I like and mash them together for a system of my own.

Here's a follow-up though ...

Do you get the longevity of play in a system that doesn't meet your expectations on a topic you love even if you're willing to overlook it?  My experience has been that the friction eventually gets to me and I just throw up my hands.
Report Spam   Logged
kira1y

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 06:41:01 am »

I don't love topics or specific eras, I love rule systems.
Report Spam   Logged
Calandale
Mockingbird
Wyrd
Forum Malcontent

I mock you

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 09:25:12 am »

I sold Sails of Glory because it felt nothing like ships fighting in the age of sail.  It could have been anything at all that Sails of Glory was trying to simulate.

Thanks. I'd been tossing this one around as an idea, and always decide against.

Here's a follow-up though ...

Do you get the longevity of play in a system that doesn't meet your expectations on a topic you love even if you're willing to overlook it?  My experience has been that the friction eventually gets to me and I just throw up my hands.

If I love what the game is trying to do, I put up with a lot and often love it more than more perfect games.

My big favorites from AWE are all like this. It's hard to recommend them to anyone; I feel almost perverse for liking them.
Report Spam   Logged
sparty
Forum Curious

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 03:49:00 pm »

At the risk of sounding like a fool ... what's AWE?
Report Spam   Logged
Calandale
Mockingbird
Wyrd
Forum Malcontent

I mock you

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 11:51:02 pm »

Azure Wish Editions - my favorite company game for game.
Report Spam   Logged
Rockhopper
Kevin
Forum Malcontent

View Profile
100 Posts Level 4 Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 07:29:23 am »

I'm definitely lenient on rules/complexity/design philosophy if I love the topic. Hornet Leader is certainly no simulation, but I love it because I'm an old A-6 Intruder guy.

I got into GBoH with SPQR a few years ago just because I thought the formations of dudes on an open map was pretty cool. I didn't have a clue about the era, so I wouldn't have even noticed if something was wonky in the rules.
Report Spam   Logged
sparty
Forum Curious

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 10:38:34 pm »

Geez Louise!  What are they making their games out of?  It must be gold at those prices! heh.  LGG has piqued my interest with the discussion on GDB, but the Lace Wars games you brought up seem truly intriguing as well.
Report Spam   Logged
Calandale
Mockingbird
Wyrd
Forum Malcontent

I mock you

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 12:02:08 am »

Geez Louise!  What are they making their games out of?  It must be gold at those prices! heh.  LGG has piqued my interest with the discussion on GDB, but the Lace Wars games you brought up seem truly intriguing as well.

I got EU for $40 new. LGG was my first $100+ game (new as well).

Mainly, they were just fairly small runs.
Report Spam   Logged
sparty
Forum Curious

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2014, 07:58:22 am »

That makes sense.  I definitely respect them for staying a small publisher and retaining their own design personality.  That's something I suspect you give up when you start trying to sell through one of the "major" publishers...  I mean, how like would it have been to see something as ambitious as LGG go through a GMT or MMP?
Report Spam   Logged
Calandale
Mockingbird
Wyrd
Forum Malcontent

I mock you

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2014, 10:32:36 am »

That makes sense.  I definitely respect them for staying a small publisher and retaining their own design personality.  That's something I suspect you give up when you start trying to sell through one of the "major" publishers...  I mean, how like would it have been to see something as ambitious as LGG go through a GMT or MMP?

GMT put out A World at War.  But it was an established design I guess, comparable to ASL
in terms of multiple simpler iterations leading up to something massive.

Most smaller houses are not able/willing to take the risk. AWE seemed to specialize in it.
Report Spam   Logged
sparty
Forum Curious

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2014, 08:16:52 pm »

I suspect there is a business model out there for those kinds of experience games.  AWE, it seems, found that niche and just hammered away at it.  Do you know what caused them to cease operation (if they have?)?
Report Spam   Logged
Calandale
Mockingbird
Wyrd
Forum Malcontent

I mock you

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2014, 08:31:40 pm »

They put out a game around '05 after several dormant years. LGG was sort of
the same situation. I'm always wondering if another game will just crop up.

If they exist though, it's not in any meaningful way. I'm assuming the market
just wasn't really there for what they were making.
Report Spam   Logged
sparty
Forum Curious

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2014, 07:32:36 pm »

It is admittedly a niche thing ...  I wonder why these smaller guys don't band together under a bigger umbrella kind of a "one for all and all for one" mentality to ensure their markets get served without any one particular publisher bearing the burden of establishing the apporpriate contacts and contracts with manufacturers. 

When I interviewed Uwe Eickert that was one of the things he most regretted about leaving the Rio Grande Games umbrella.  They had well established contacts with artists and manufacturers along with distributors which Uwe had to build up for Academy Games.  I mean here's a guy with a track record for successfully starting and selling businesses in many different fields basically admitting that it's incredibly difficult with his knowledge level even to get something cooking.

That was a powerful statement for me.
Report Spam   Logged
The Grinch
WB PITA
Forum Curious

Soylent Green™ is made out of sheeple!

View Profile
Level 4 Signature 50 Posts
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2014, 07:53:18 am »

I'll overlook issues of ambiguous or incomplete rules, complexity, play balance, etc. but not bad history.  If I love a topic, I don't like seeing it misrepresented and it can impair my enjoyment of the game, and I'll try to come up with house rules to "fix" it.
Report Spam   Logged

Ba-a-a-ah!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: