The Game Box
March 29, 2024, 07:29:18 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The new site is Running.
This one is closed.

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

What has happened to BGG Wargaming General Forum

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What has happened to BGG Wargaming General Forum  (Read 4843 times)
wilhammer
n00b

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Karma Good Level 2 Combination
« on: July 09, 2014, 09:10:46 am »

1. Many of the questions have already been asked - how many more threads to do we need on Counter clipping, what is a wargame, etc, etc. The best answers are already out - anyone asking is going into a hive that should respond the old fashioned way - USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION!

2. The desire to be funny or ironic is probably way overboard at times - I am guilty.  Truth is, that is who I am - I am a quick witted smartass, pure and simple. I will keep you in stitches or offend you - depends on the result rolled on the CRT (Comedy Routine Table).

3. entirely too serious people getting uptight and preachy.

Personally, I think some of the damage created is by me - some of the silly threads (the what is a wargame thread from last week) just inspire me to wake up one morning and go all Case Blue on the threads (morning of July 4th) which seemed (though it might just be my ego telling me this) to precipitate the ASL thread that now has Calendale and Dorosh in the same holding pattern.

One of the reasons I did that series of three Case Blue threads was to express how stoopid the GF has become - there is no longer anything of merit there.

And even that got ruined by MD who is not capable of decent human interaction online - just self righteous mabustatory dialogue.

(Yeah, spelled wrong, but this BBS software is screening bad words.)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 09:14:52 am by wilhammer » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Calandale
Mockingbird
Wyrd
Forum Malcontent

I mock you

View Profile WWW
Search 500 Posts Karma Bad
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 09:17:31 am »

1. Many of the questions have already been asked - how many more threads to do we need on Counter clipping, what is a wargame, etc, etc. The best answers are already out - anyone asking is going into a hive that should respond the old fashioned way - USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION!

Search function sucks ass at BGG. Plus, it's too big a site. People are wandering in and are just constantly asking the same ****.
My biggest gripe are actually all the 'favorite' threads. I've grown to really like the lists Nap20 put together. At first, I thought
they were pure gall - but he polls the community and more or less grabs the consensus. In most eras, there are few enough
games in a class that he gets anything anyone likes (and then some).

2. The desire to be funny or ironic is probably way overboard at times - I am guilty.  Truth is, that is who I am - I am a quick witted smartass, pure and simple. I will keep you in stitches or offend you - depends on the result rolled on the CRT (Comedy Routine Table).

3. entirely too serious people getting uptight and preachy.

Personally, I think some of the damage created is by me - some of the silly threads (thwewhat is a wargame thread from last week) just inspire me to wake up one morning and go all Case Blue on the threads (morning of July 4th) which seemed (though it might just be my ego telling me this) to precipitate the ASL thread that now has Calendale and Dorosh in the same holding pattern.

All this is why I'm on boards at all. I want some witty, little cutting remarks sprinkled in. I want to be able to engage with a little bit of pushing.
And I absolutely love putting parody threads up - but I tried not to at BGG, because I would end up filling the damned board with them.
Figure I've pissed more than my share of people off already, since the very beginning.

Report Spam   Logged
kira1y

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 09:47:00 am »

The forum just got too big for me. Too much noise over there now although, like Bill, I will occasionally pop over to make a smart-ass comment here or there. I've pretty much given up on Geeklists as well, especially since they **** up the item comments.

Almost all of my time over there now is spent in a couple of the guilds.
Report Spam   Logged
usrlocal
Magnificent Bastard
Forum Malcontent

Tony Clifton's love child

View Profile
Gallery Linux User Level 5
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 10:06:50 am »

I agree with Jim. I mostly make smart-ass quips over in General, and that's about it.

The signal-to-noise ratio over there has become horrendously low.
Report Spam   Logged
Rockhopper
Kevin
Forum Malcontent

View Profile
100 Posts Level 4 Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 08:11:44 am »

I'm ok with the same valid questions popping up. I view BGG as a community, and not just a database. It's always cooler to talk with people than a search engine. And quite frankly, search functions aren't all that great anywhere.

The humorous stuff is fun, but we inevitably jump the shark every time.

And I agree with the up-tightness for sure. Heck, I'm an evangelical, fundamental, Bible-believing Christian, and I don't get anywhere near riled up as most folks over there.

P.S.  I posted this response, which was wiped out when I hit submit because I got logged out of the site with a "you can't post in this forum" message. I thought "man, I'm already banned for being the Christian!"  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Calandale
Mockingbird
Wyrd
Forum Malcontent

I mock you

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 09:51:37 am »

P.S.  I posted this response, which was wiped out when I hit submit because I got logged out of the site with a "you can't post in this forum" message. I thought "man, I'm already banned for being the Christian!"  Grin

I wonder what happened. I wasn't playing with this one at any point recently.
Report Spam   Logged
billyboy

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 04:43:34 pm »

BGG=Repetition   Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged
Calandale
Mockingbird
Wyrd
Forum Malcontent

I mock you

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 05:59:25 pm »

There's only one thing worth saying there.
Report Spam   Logged
Carl Marl
Forum Curious

View Profile
Level 4 Karma Bad Poll Starter
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 08:29:14 am »

I don't know what happened to the BGG wargaming subdomain forum, but I have an idea.

Most topics there I don't even click on any more. I just know there's going to be a lot of pontificating going on, especially from you know who. Silly threads do get my attention, but the problem with the silly threads is that some people take them seriously. When they chime in, it goes downhill quickly.

Maybe what happened is you know who showed up. Having someone there who just has to comment on everything with multiple lengthy posts spoils it for me. I mean I'm getting carpal tunnel from having to scroll down past his posts!
Report Spam   Logged

I work for cats
S Trauth
Forum Curious

View Profile WWW
Karma Bad 10 Posts Level 3
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2014, 08:40:32 am »

I think the ultimate there was the roll call thread for wargamers to post in the thread :calling all wargamers' or whatever it was ... yeah sure- I didn't post there... I am a bad wargamer... a very bad wargamer... Sad
Report Spam   Logged
Calandale
Mockingbird
Wyrd
Forum Malcontent

I mock you

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2014, 10:28:25 am »

Maybe what happened is you know who showed up. Having someone there who just has to comment on everything with multiple lengthy posts spoils it for me. I mean I'm getting carpal tunnel from having to scroll down past his posts!

It is possible to set people on ignore. I'm sure many do it to me - and since less and less folk
respond to MD, I wouldn't be surprised to think the majority have him on ignore. Tongue
Report Spam   Logged
billyboy

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2014, 03:18:10 pm »

BGG was a lot of fun until about 3 years + ago. Thats when out of the blue BGG decided to fracture the wargaming community into 3 pieces that were completely unconnected. You had to search all over to find the wargame forum(s). That was total bullpoopie. It was a year before they put it back together. For me personally the sock puppet sniping that went on for 2 years really took a toll. I never knew when out of no where some newuser with zilch in there profile was going to start launching attacks. BGG did nothing about it for 2 years. That and my good buddy Pee Wee with his non stop trolling.
BGG went from a friendly fun place with a lot of great information and good friends to a place where you needed to watch your back. I post far less than I used to and don't contribute anywhere near as much content because I just don't "feel it" anymore.
I made a lot of friends there that I wargame with both ftf and on vassal though and BGG did get me back into wargaming after a 15 year sabbatical. I am grateful to BGG for that.
Report Spam   Logged
usrlocal
Magnificent Bastard
Forum Malcontent

Tony Clifton's love child

View Profile
Gallery Linux User Level 5
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2014, 09:04:22 pm »

Geez. Has it been 3 years already?
Report Spam   Logged
S Trauth
Forum Curious

View Profile WWW
Karma Bad 10 Posts Level 3
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2014, 03:22:07 am »

It is possible to set people on ignore. I'm sure many do it to me - and since less and less folk
respond to MD, I wouldn't be surprised to think the majority have him on ignore. Tongue

I won't confirm or deny that is the case. . . 0-:) ...
Report Spam   Logged
anarchy
Passive Aggressive Gamer
Forum Malcontent

View Profile WWW
Level 5 100 Posts Signature
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2014, 06:03:43 pm »

I occasionally add someone to my ignore list if they are being really annoying (spamming usually). And every few months I remove everyone I've added from the ignore list.

Except Octavian. He's going to stay on my ignore list until the end of time.
Report Spam   Logged

Meh.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: