The Game Box
April 19, 2024, 03:08:42 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The new site is Running.
This one is closed.

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Print & Play Games - Your Opinions

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Print & Play Games - Your Opinions  (Read 541 times)
pnpfanatic
Now 100% PnP
Forum Malcontent

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
100 Posts Level 4 Karma Bad
« on: July 17, 2014, 12:29:15 am »

As the user name says so it is true. I like PnP games, but not maybe for the same reason as other people.

When I 'build' a game I learn more about the game by being involved with its actual construction. I always end up knowing a game better if I build it than if I just tear off some shrink and start trying to play.

I like building games even when they do come boxed or bagged. I build as many of my own components as I can. Counters, maps, rule books (and usually I'm getting the errata in the process there as well so that's a plus) and then put the commercial components away (getting some sheets of plexi made me feel better about using the maps as is Smiley )

How about you? Do you like PnP games and do you have any special reasons or tips for building your own components?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Calandale
Mockingbird
Wyrd
Forum Malcontent

I mock you

View Profile WWW
Search 500 Posts Karma Bad
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 12:50:41 am »

I can't be arsed to put the work in to make them nice.

So, they just don't please me.
Report Spam   Logged
kira1y

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 06:42:40 am »

I'm too lazy to even try. It would end up looking like ****, anyhow.
Report Spam   Logged
weateallthepies
Forum Curious

View Profile
Karma Good 10 Posts Combination
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 10:44:46 am »

I really enjoy pnp games, and I do even enjoy the process of making them since it's something I can fit around life quite easily. It mostly stems from my desire for a new game, I have loads of materials so I can often make something quick to put off the need to spend more money for a while.

I don't have any particular tips, I'm happy with the games I build but I don't spend ages making perfect copies. Mostly it's greyboard I buy in bulk, full sheet labels and my trusty laser which takes stupidly cheap toners. Still don't have a great way of creating cards though due to lining the backs and fronts up, most of the methods I'ave tried take too long for the results. I often just print both sides on separate card and sleeve.
Report Spam   Logged
Rockhopper
Kevin
Forum Malcontent

View Profile
100 Posts Level 4 Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 11:34:12 am »

Some people can just create things, build models, create art, etc. I just don't have the knack, nor the interest to create something like a pnp game.
Report Spam   Logged
stemcider
Forum Malcontent

dafuq

View Profile
Level 5 100 Posts Poll Voter
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 04:12:48 pm »

Once I get a decent printer I will definitely make some games, but without the proper tools its pointless.
Report Spam   Logged
Robin Hoodlum
Wizard of Ahhs
Forum Curious

Makes war just for fun!

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Level 4 Karma Good
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 05:33:43 pm »

I don't mind "putting them together", but most of the time the games are "too small" for me or don't last as long as I like games to last. A lot of times I find them boring, and some times I don't even think they are fun.
*shrug*
Report Spam   Logged

"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly"- Colonel David Hackworth
Calandale
Mockingbird
Wyrd
Forum Malcontent

I mock you

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 07:10:41 pm »

It's a big deal for me, because there are good PnP options on the 'xx deepthought stuff.

Also there's a Republic of Rome like design for the Imperial Era, which I'm really interested in.
I ended up splurging for the produced copy of Founding Fathers (not the famous one) a few days
ago, rather than doing a free PnP.

There are some systems with nice PnP options - like the MOI Agincourt, or a couple NBS games I printed out.
Report Spam   Logged
pnpfanatic
Now 100% PnP
Forum Malcontent

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2014, 07:18:29 pm »

It's a big deal for me, because there are good PnP options on the 'xx deepthought stuff.

Also there's a Republic of Rome like design for the Imperial Era, which I'm really interested in.
I ended up splurging for the produced copy of Founding Fathers (not the famous one) a few days
ago, rather than doing a free PnP.

There are some systems with nice PnP options - like the MOI Agincourt, or a couple NBS games I printed out.

If you're talking about the Founding Fathers 2007 one with all the ways to PnP or buy it that looks good, especially the classroom edition. Thanks for the heads up...can't believe I missed that one.
Report Spam   Logged
Calandale
Mockingbird
Wyrd
Forum Malcontent

I mock you

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2014, 07:20:39 pm »

Yes. It just came out. I tried to score a review copy,
but decided I'm interested enough to pay for it.
Report Spam   Logged
usrlocal
Magnificent Bastard
Forum Malcontent

Tony Clifton's love child

View Profile
Gallery Linux User Level 5
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2014, 08:12:20 pm »

I like the idea of PnP games, but yeah, I too am a lazy sod.

Report Spam   Logged
anarchy
Passive Aggressive Gamer
Forum Malcontent

View Profile WWW
Level 5 100 Posts Signature
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2014, 10:07:40 pm »

Us lazy people should get together and do something about that... or not. You know, on second thought, screw it. I'm sleeping in tomorrow.
Report Spam   Logged

Meh.
Nigel66
Forum Curious

View Profile
Level 3 Karma Good Poll Voter
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2014, 11:26:23 am »

I`m looking to acquire both "Maiwand" and "Togoland, 1914" which I understand were both PnP.  If anyone knows of a source I`d appreciate a heads-up.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 11:28:38 am by Nigel66 » Report Spam   Logged
pnpfanatic
Now 100% PnP
Forum Malcontent

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2014, 12:18:41 pm »

I`m looking to acquire both "Maiwand" and "Togoland, 1914" which I understand were both PnP.  If anyone knows of a source I`d appreciate a heads-up.

I take it you are referring to the Khyber Pass Games versions?

The problem is they were DTP games which usually means unless someone has an uncut copy they will be tough to track down although Maiwand was republished by White Dog.

But it sounds like a new group is opening shop with crew from both companies. Full quote:

"I and Dennis Bishop (ex KPG, WDG, and a host of other companies) are working on several board wargames of his design and are at the point where we need playtesters.

The topics for our first efforts are Battles For a Continent (French and Indian War, American Revolution, and War of 1812 - BFC). BFC presently includes games on the following battles, Plains of Abraham 1759, St. Foy 1760, Trenton I & II 1776, Princeton 1776 (and several smaller battles that were part of those campaigns to be included in the packages), and Tippecanoe 1811 (which is hoped to be followed by Fallen Timbers, Wabash, and Thames).

It's our hope to develop the basic BFC rules from these into a set of encompassing general rules set that we can use to cover all combat from the time of Marlborough (roughly 1700) to the Crimea (1855). We intend to use game (or scenario if you like) specific rules to indicate differences necessary to the time and place for each game, or battle.

The purpose to our designing the BFC series is to develop a game system that provides the feel of linear combat, but doesn't have the painstaking (almost exhausting) level of detail and difficulty of the BAR (Battles of the Age of Reason – made by Clash of Arms) or that of the LaBataille series (again by Clash of Arms). Both those series of games are venerated in the board wargame world as the best of the best for their periods 7YW and Napoleonic. BUT the single drawback for both of them is their level of difficulty and the fact that even the smallest of battles using their systems takes not hours, but DAYS to complete. That extensive amount of time is what we seek to reduce making a simpler game play instead in about 3 hours.

We are also developing a European Colonial Battle system which so far includes games on the following: Maiwand 1880, El Teb II 1885, Ginnis 1885, Firket 1896, and Atbara 1898. We hope to move this system into Zulu and American Indian engagements.

If you are willing to work on this, actually play the prototype games, and write detailed critiques of the rules we would like to hear from you. Also, in the beginning we will need you to be committed enough to the project that you are willing to print and produce (PNP) your own copy of the game. We’re doing this on a shoe-string with the hopes to expand our horizons after this first set of games have gone to production.

Please contact us via either of my e-mail addresses
(I use 2 for purposes of technical redundancy):

tdcgsl@yahoo.com
tdcgunslinger@nwcable.net

Thanks Much,
Tom Cundiff
Director, Ernie Pyle WWII Museum
www.erniepyle.org
Assoc. Editor, War Diary Magazine
www.wardiarymagazine.com"
Report Spam   Logged
Nigel66
Forum Curious

View Profile
Level 3 Karma Good Poll Voter
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2014, 12:42:31 pm »

I take it you are referring to the Khyber Pass Games versions?

The problem is they were DTP games which usually means unless someone has an uncut copy they will be tough to track down although Maiwand was republished by White Dog.

I was.  And they are.  Very tough.

But it sounds like a new group is opening shop with crew from both companies.

Where did you find that news release and what was the date of it?  I haven`t been over to CSW for a few days but I thought I had subscriptions in place that would catch an item like that.

It's our hope to develop the basic BFC rules from these into a set of encompassing general rules set that we can use to cover ... the Crimea (1855).

I`m very interested in the Crimean War.  But this sounds tailor-made for me....

We are also developing a European Colonial Battle system which so far includes games on the following: Maiwand 1880, El Teb II 1885, Ginnis 1885, Firket 1896, and Atbara 1898. We hope to move this system into Zulu ... engagements.

I don`t know anything about playtesting but I`m very tempted to volunteer.  Thanks for passing this on!!
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: