The Game Box
March 18, 2024, 11:44:38 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The new site is Running.
This one is closed.

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

The worst and overrated wargames?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The worst and overrated wargames?  (Read 778 times)
Colonel Dax
n00b

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Level 2 Karma Topic Starter
« on: July 17, 2014, 11:40:44 am »

The idea here is to start a list of the worst or overrated wargames. Why they are what they are is the next post but for now a start on the list. Also I am not assigning a relative grade here just putting them on the list. In my opinion a game with horrible graphics is not as bad as a game with dysfunctional rules or one lacking in simulation value. Poor graphics can be a factor in making a game bad but not the sole factor in that determination. So as Enrico would say onto goring some sacred cows...

My Lists For Now (add your own)

Overrated - GMT's East Front Series, The Gamer's OCS series.

The Worst - MMP A Victory Denied, DG Storm Of Steel. Gamers Drive On Paris as someone has noted below.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 02:48:03 am by Colonel Dax » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

kira1y

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 12:28:13 pm »

The Gamer's OCS series.

You're dead to me!

Actually, I look forward to your post explaining why you think this is so. Then you'll be dead to me.  Wink
Report Spam   Logged
KevinR
Professional Rules Lawyer
Forum Curious

View Profile
Search Level 4 Karma Bad
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 12:50:05 pm »

The idea here is to start a list of the worst or overrated wargames. Why they are what they are is the next post but for now a start on the list. Also I am not assigning a relative grade here just putting them on the list. In my opinion a game with horrible graphics is not as bad as a game with dysfunctional rules or one lacking in simulation value.

Chess.  Definitely overrated as a simulation; possibly worst.
Report Spam   Logged
Calandale
Mockingbird
Wyrd
Forum Malcontent

I mock you

View Profile WWW
Search 500 Posts Karma Bad
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 12:54:06 pm »

The Gamer's OCS series.

You're dead to me!

Actually, I look forward to your post explaining why you think this is so. Then you'll be dead to me.  Wink

That's how I feel. I've heard some objections to OCS, but to me it seems likely to be pretty close
to as well as the design can get - so I'd think that the criticism would be against the very core
of the design idea.
Report Spam   Logged
stemcider
Forum Malcontent

dafuq

View Profile
Level 5 100 Posts Poll Voter
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 03:37:40 pm »

I honestly do not think I have played a bad wargame.

The one I have enjoyed the least is Lee vs. Grant but I don't think it is a bad game. I solo'ed it and I think it would benefit a lot from having another player.
Report Spam   Logged
Calandale
Mockingbird
Wyrd
Forum Malcontent

I mock you

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 03:51:14 pm »

I really like Lee vs. Grant.

I've played a lot of bad wargames, but I guess 'overrated' for me probably goes to
Paths of Glory. More a matter of personal taste than anything else though. Maybe
ASL deserves mention for the same reason. I don't think either is 'bad' though.
Report Spam   Logged
stemcider
Forum Malcontent

dafuq

View Profile
Level 5 100 Posts Poll Voter
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 04:00:12 pm »

I really like Lee vs. Grant.

I've played a lot of bad wargames, but I guess 'overrated' for me probably goes to
Paths of Glory. More a matter of personal taste than anything else though. Maybe
ASL deserves mention for the same reason. I don't think either is 'bad' though.

LvG gave me bad analysis paralysis. Like staring at the map for 10 minutes trying to figure out what to do bad. I think it was mostly the supply system and just the general openness of the scenario. I have only tried the campaign scenario and I think playing the short scenarios would help me figure out what to do. I couldn't figure out a strategy for either side.
Report Spam   Logged
Calandale
Mockingbird
Wyrd
Forum Malcontent

I mock you

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 04:22:01 pm »

I was really bad at it opposed. Ended up letting the Union behind the confederate army.

It was very embarrassing.
Report Spam   Logged
capt_s
Forum Malcontent

Fancy Tickled

View Profile
100 Posts Signature Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2014, 06:54:35 pm »

I will mention something positive about PoG.

I doubt I have felt such angst playing a game as I did with this one. The tension derived from the 6 cards max allowed per turn will eat at you. Eat ... at ..... you. Which is true for any game I have played that employs this mechanic as a matter of fact.

I understand the arguments against re: simulation, card decision impact, supply and whatnot. All of which push PoG slightly more towards the "GAME" side of the sliding GAME vs SIMULATION scale in my mind.

I don't care .... I have fun playing it. And that is what is important to me.    Tongue 

Side Note: Here I am coming to the defense of a game I have played all of three times .... LOL!
Report Spam   Logged

I should have been a pair of ragged claws   
Scuttling across the floors of silent seas.

- TS Eliot: The Love Song of J Alfred Prufrock.
capt_s
Forum Malcontent

Fancy Tickled

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2014, 06:58:33 pm »

LvG is a game that I have heard about for decades now ..... but have never played.

Wasn't it a forerunner to the GCACW series? Or are they unrelated?
Report Spam   Logged

Calandale
Mockingbird
Wyrd
Forum Malcontent

I mock you

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2014, 07:05:22 pm »

Side Note: Here I am coming to the defense of a game I have played all of three times .... LOL!

Lol - I do that fairly often with things.
Report Spam   Logged
usrlocal
Magnificent Bastard
Forum Malcontent

Tony Clifton's love child

View Profile
Gallery Linux User Level 5
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2014, 07:11:50 pm »

I gotta say that I was really disappointed with 'What Price Glory?', which was published in MMP Special Ops. For a WW1 game it sure didn't feel like WW1. Rules were a bit of a hash. Didn't buy the card combo mechanic. This is based in solo play, but I really felt some revulsion towards it.
Report Spam   Logged
capt_s
Forum Malcontent

Fancy Tickled

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2014, 07:21:52 pm »

I gotta say that I was really disappointed with 'What Price Glory?',...

Well that is a pity. I was considering that one some time ago. I liked some of the images on BGG (I am soooooo shallow).

Here is a game that might stir some controversy. I dislike The Napoleonic Wars. Yes..... that's right!

I have played it, umm, 3 or 4 times now. It just did not have the period feel I was looking for. There was, to some degree, a certain lack of fluidity to the flow of that game. This static nature had a WW1 quality to it! No doubt it had something to do with our play style or lack of experience, but there you go.

3 or 4 attempts is a lot for me on one game and if I am still not liking it, then it is just not for me.

And, yes, here I am complaining about TNW's lack of period feel when I just defended PoG, which is sometimes attacked for not being like WW1. All I can say to that is that while I found the one boring, the other I thought was exciting.
Report Spam   Logged

Calandale
Mockingbird
Wyrd
Forum Malcontent

I mock you

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2014, 07:24:03 pm »

I gotta say that I was really disappointed with 'What Price Glory?',...

Well that is a pity. I was considering that one some time ago. I liked some of the images on BGG (I am soooooo shallow).

Here is a game that might stir some controversy. I dislike The Napoleonic Wars. Yes..... that's right!

I have played it, umm, 3 or 4 times now. It just did not have the period feel I was looking for. There was, to some degree, a certain lack of fluidity to the flow of that game. This static nature had a WW1 quality to it! No doubt it had something to do with our play style or lack of experience, but there you go.

I found that the number of players has a significant influence for me. I liked it in 5 (solo), but it was completely ahistorical in three (opposed) .
Report Spam   Logged
FloydWing
n00b

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Karma Good
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2014, 07:48:31 pm »

The Worst - MMP A Victory Denied, DG Storm Of Steel.
It seems like there's a lot of people that don't like AVD.  I've always found it good for when I want something light and quick to play that still feels like a deep enough wargame.  Granted, A Victory Lost is much meatier, but I still enjoy AVD.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: